Hot Body.............Work

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by riporter, May 22, 2005.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    What is POR-15? That stuff looks so nice, I wouldn't want to paint over it.

2. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Here's a link to there website, and yes it's expensive, and no I'm not advertising for them.
    It's an excellent product but rust bullit probably works just as good.
    I just happened to be at por-15's website when I decided on what to do with my chassis.
    The one thing about this stuff is the directions have to be followed to the letter, if you don't you may as well go throw your money in the toilet for all the good it's gonna do you.

http://www.por15.com/default.asp

3. maverickman70

maverickman70 New Member

Vehicle:
    maverick
    does anyone know how much it costs to repanel a 1970 maverick or any easier way

if you know of any ways to get rid of rust email me at nick_moser@hotmail.com
    i am new here at this website i am currently buyin a 1970 maverick and wantin to fix the extrerior is it easy to sand of the rust primer it or repanel it. if yoiu know how much repanelin costs for a 1970 maverick e mail me.
    Also lookin for a cheap maverick in minnesota:wave:

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    The only way to truly get rid of the rust is to cut it out and repanel it as you are calling it. It is not always necessary to replace an entire panel...just the rusted area. There is still no guarantee that rust won't come back, maybe somewhere around the area you repaired. Most often it comes from the inside out so it might rust back in an area that you didn't even work on. There is NO ONE on this board that can tell you in a post how much this would cost. If you can't do it yourself, you must find a good reputable body shop or restoration shop (2 different things) and tell them EXACTLY what you want and get them to give you a cost to make the repairs. I'll tell you right now it will be expensive as most body shops labor rates are running around $35 to $44 per hour. It would be very easy to spend 2-3 grand (maybe even more on the real bad ones) on nothing but rust repairs...then you still have to prime and paint.
    As for your last statement "lookin for a cheap Maverick", Due to the cost of rust repairs it may not be in your best interest to try to find the cheapest one you can find if you are going to have to pay for all the repairs. You will be money ahead to try to find one that has little or no rust. I see them advertised on eBay quite often.
    Good luck whichever way you decide to go. These are great cars so I hope you get a good one...you'll enjoy it forever just like the rest of us.:)

5. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Looks good, is it can or mix n pour? I also like the painters chair, looks better than the ones I have IN my car:biglaugh:

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    rick, rick, rick,

that is a "great" thing you are doing (y) .
    the only thing i see that you haven't done that i did on my '71 mav. (m.a.v.s) is i pulled the dash and steering colum and painted them.:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
    on the hood...did you treat the inside with the por 15?:huh: i poured it in the holes and rolled the hood around so it would get in behind all the seams...a little messy :yup: so i did this before i painted the underside of the hood.
    thanks for keeping us posted, w/pics.
    the next car you do will go a lot smoother ( :yup: the next car).
    when i go on vacation in july we might ride over and see the car...frank...:bouncy:
    p.s. did you spray the por 15? :huh:

7. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Frank I used the daubers por-15 sells for getting in the hard to reach spots, I brushed the rest on, if its prepped right you can't tell its brushed on.
    I think I'm gonna go ahead and insulate the underside of the hood.
    The hood and drivers side front fender are the only part of the car that had any rust(they came off the car from West Va.)
    The main reason for the por-15 is the chassis, it dries rock hard and it's tough and won't be such a pain in the butt to keep clean.
    The car is real close to being ready for sealer and paint, I'll post some pics before I carry to the shop where I'm gonna paint it.

BTW....Frank you and the family are more than welcome to come by...just give me a heads up :yup:

8. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    Rick , are going back with a "Sprint " color scheme ,or a different color ?

9. PART-TIME

PART-TIME Member

Vehicle:
    Grabber Clone
    Looking good. I wish I had the patience to do body work. What color are you going to paint it?

10. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Mike it's gonna be Blue and White but not the same shades as a Sprint and not exactly the same sheme.
    I want it to be different than any other Mav and still be done tastefully.

Dennis...thx alot for all the pics and measurements....I'll be in touch soon.

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    rick,
    did you use the same primer in the jams and door edges? i would think it would be a little rough sanding that primer in tight places. "great job you are doing"..frank...:bouncy:

12. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Frank I did the jams back before FFW, I've got a touch-up gun if needs be for those and the edges and some NOS sill plates to put on.
    Right now gettin this hood right is kicking my butt.:hmmm: :oops:

13. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I'll give ya a $100 bucks for the hood right now if you won't mess it up any more than you already have!!!:cool:

14. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Hmmmm... you mean this hood?...don't tempt me. Puttin that ridge back in the center has presented quite a challenge. I could fix that easy by adding another scoop.....NOT:rolleyes:
    The other pic is during the DREADED spotlight test.:eek: :90:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  15. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Yep. that would be the one. But then again with NO ridge and all that stuff you got smeared on it maybe I'm offerin too much :rolleyes: