How do I gap these plugs?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scooper77515, Dec 4, 2009.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I would think you'd still have to gap them. There is a gap tool that grabs the shaft and allows you to bend it. I always was told that plugs should always get gapped even if they are pre-gapped but maybe this is different.

2. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    i think but am not sure that the reason for the short strap is to not shroud the spark with the ground strap. the think is the spark is only going to jump off one side of the center electrode and will wear it out alot faster than a traditional plug. thats not a big concern when racing. racecars get alot of maintance between races, or at least they should. they change the plugs out frequently. so those plugs you have should perform really well, even with the small gap, but they will wear faster than a standard plug.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I went ahead and gapped them with wirecutters to .060" Engine started up much easier, and ran smoother, well, smoother than before I swapped the plugs.

Found the source of my dead cylinder(s)...

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=62418

4. motorking

motorking New Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Gapping autolite racing plugs

Hi,
    I am the Technical manager at Autolite spark plugs. Also a hard core Ford racer. You gap the race plugs the same way as any other spark plug. The side wire is cut back to get a bigger spark in the combustion chamber. They should be gapped around .032 for your small block, unless you are running boost, then you can go to .025. I would be happy to answer any questions about ignitions or spark plugs on here.

5. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Motorking,
    I gap my plugs (on stock engine) at .028 -.030. (what ever gives me a smooth idle) I find this runs well under power and they seem to last longer between tune-ups. Why do people want to run gaps of .045 and larger?

6. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking your time to register and reply :thumbs2:

Theres pauls question so it doesnt get overlooked, I hate being the first one on the page...lol

7. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    :Welcome: Glad to see a tech rep on here. :cool:

Now for my comment. I guess I have to disagree with the spark being bigger because of the side wire being cut back. Obviously I have no first hand experience in watching these type of things occur during actual engine running etc. Is there proof of this "bigger spark"? To me a gap is how big the spark is, which is more like how long the spark duration is. But the fact that the cut is to the side makes me think that the spark isn't towards the center or protuberance as much. I just can't picture the "bigger spark". Just my thoughts and no way intending to disrespect.

8. motorking

motorking New Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    plug gapping

Large plug gaps came into vogue with car makers in the late 70's and early 80's. The thinking is that the larger flame kernal would help get better emissions. Most automakers now use .030 to .040 gaps today. Even the LS series engines went to .040 after initally calling for a .060 gap. Large gaps tend to "blow out" the spark under high compression and boost. In any high perfoamnce engine, you should run the biggest gap you can that does not cause mis fires under load. From personal experience with ford performance engines, boosted engines run best around .025-.030 and high compression engines run best around .030 to .035

9. motorking

motorking New Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    The spark event is bigger because having the side wire cut back unshrouds the spark. It just helps keep the flame going in a performance engine

10. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    does this only matter in a performance engine or is there something I should take from this thread for a stock engine? might've just missed something..

11. motorking

motorking New Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    for a stock engine, I would recommend using Autolite Xp plugs, they are fine wire iridium alloy spark plugs. Better combustion, bigger flame kernal, better power and fuel economy and 100k mile life. they are expensive though at around 6.49 each.

12. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    ok. idk, A plug better make my bed in the morning for $6.49. say it's your car. (can I ask u this sort of question lol?). It's ur daily driver, stock engine. Cost/benefit analysis for you as far as plugs go? When is more money worth it and when is it practically just getting thrown down the drain?

13. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I only paid $2.49 each for the AR plugs. I gapped them to .060 because that is what my MSD 6A works at.

Should I worry about it, or possibly gap smaller next time I take them out?

It starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

By the way, thanks for logging in and giving expert advice. :Handshake

14. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Sweet!!!!:Welcome:

15. motorking

motorking New Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    If your not getting any misfires under a load, the gap is fine. .060 is really a big gap for a performance negine though