How much Rust Bullet for the trunk?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ResidentEvilRoc, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ResidentEvilRoc

ResidentEvilRoc Got bit by the HP bug.

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    Thanks for the tips. I have all the stuff bought up. Now I just have to wait until work slows down. Working 7 days a week doesn't leave much time for anything else.

2. jv86

jv86 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet, 1962 Econoline P/U
    Hello,

I am figuring out what I will need to de-rust my Comet. I have some holes in the rear quarterpanel and front floor pans, nothing you can poke a finger through though.

Would you mind describing the process you used with the fiberglass matte? Was it used to fill holes and rusted out low spots, with the Rust Bullet used in place of resin?

Thank you,

Jon

3. heliboy

heliboy 76' Mav

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick 2 door
    ITEMS NEEDED: 3" paint roller with 2 changeable heads
    Paint roller tray for 3" head (lowes/Wal-Mart)
    rubber or nitrile gloves (at least 3 pair)
    Throw away paint brushes (2)
    fiberglass matte (weight depends on how sturdy you want it
    and how bad the rust is. I bought mine on ebay)

Don the gloves and get the roller and brush ready (now you can paint the first coat with an HVLP if you wanted, but I just rolled mine by hand). Realize this stuff gets on you and is VERY difficult to get off. I'd keep some of the Rust Bullet Metal Blast on hand, and it isn't very expensive (this is the thinner/remover for Rust Bullet). Long sleeves will be a definite plus..and don't get the hankering to wipe your face while applying it! lol

- DO NOT APPLY RUST BULLET WHEN IT IS RAINING OR IF IT WILL RAIN
    WITHIN 8 HOURS OF YOUR APPLYING IT - IT WILL ENCAPSULATE THE
    MOISTURE IN THE CHEMICAL!
    - Clean the trunk area from loose debris.
    - Use a good degreaser and several cloths to simply remove grime and grit
    that would hinder adhesion.
    - Measure and cut you fiberglass matte to fit. Take your time. Lay it out on
    the floor or bench as it will go into the trunk...this will help when you apply
    it.
    - spray all exposed areas of bare metal with Metal Blast to etch it & wait 15
    minutes. I just sprayed my whole trunk anyway, bare or not.
    - While waiting hand mix the rust bullet in the can it came in (do NOT use a
    mechanical shaker). This will take at LEAST 10 minutes, probably more.
    Some 'streaking' in the mix is normal (light and dark areas), but try to get it
    down to a minimum. Use a wooden or plastic stir stick.
    - I used a small painters tray made for the 3" roller. Put only what you think
    you will need for the first coat. Be sure to reseal the can after you pour
    out what you need.
    - Roll a generous amount on the trunk (not to the point it puddles, of course)
    Use the cheap brushes to get into the places the roller can't.
    - As soon as you finish this then place your fiberglass matte in there just as
    you laid it out. As you do this it will try to stick to your gloves...this is
    normal.
    - Once it's laid out and you are satisfied then once again pour out your Rust
    Bullet and begin to roll on top of the matte. Now as you do this be SURE to
    keep the roller WET with Rust Bullet, because if you don't it begins to
    get thin then it will try to pull up your matte you've laid down. I rolled my
    edges and middle first to help tack it down to minimize it pulling it up.
    - Again use the cheap brushes to fill in areas the roller misses.
    - Don't worry about 'tassles' from the matte hanging on the edges, you can
    trim them once it dries.
    - Once satisfied then let it dry 24 hours for good measure.

Now trim and look at your 'new' trunk and how strong it is. If you plan on painting then I would do so within 12 hours of it being completely dry. If you wait more than 72 hours after it is dry then you will have to re-etch it with the Metal Blast to make sure the paint will stick. Personally I would re-etch it any way just for good measure.
    This process should work for floor pans as well. I actually did about 80% of my car with this stuff and love it!
    HAPPY BULLETING!

By the way, this process is for those not worried about the 'stock' or clean look in the trunk. I put outdoor carpet in my truck when I was finished. If you want to keep the inside of the trunk looking 'stock' or 'clean' then you apply a layer of Rust Bullet to the inside of the trunk AND the underneath as well. You then apply the fiberglass matte to the UNDERNEATH of the trunk and roll a second layer over it just as I mentioned if you were putting it inside the trunk. This seals it from both sides.
    :drive:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. jv86

jv86 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet, 1962 Econoline P/U
    Thank you for the great write-up, added to my reference file