How to pull steering column

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Elephant, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Elephant

Elephant Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    I need to get the entire steering column out of my 77 so I can do some fab work on the rag joint end for my RC swap. I got the wheel pulled and removed the 3 bolts so now it can drop down but that’s about it. I’m not seeing what all is keeping it in. Column shifter, key on column, etc. The whole thing DOES need to come out to remove the inner shaft where the rag joint is, correct? I have no motor so it’d be great if the inner could slip out the engine bay...

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    There is a plate bolted to the firewall to support the lower end of the column that needs to be unbolted.

3. Elephant

Elephant Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Thanks! That's the conclusion I was coming to based on pictures of used columns on eBay. Mine is just covered with Dynamat so I couldn't see the bolts. There should be no reason to take the upper column apart (turn signals, etc.) right?

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Right - even the steering wheel need not be removed. Rag joint bolts, firewall bolts, mid column under the dash bolts, wiring harness and shifter linkage - that should do it.

5. Elephant

Elephant Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Sounds good! I removed the wheel for nothing but luckily it wasn't that hard. The hardest part is removing the lower dash that spans the entire width and getting it around the AC ducts. It needed to be done anyway though as my oil pressure gauge is leaking oil.

6. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Yes, the lower dash is more complicated than the tray from an early car, specially when AC is present. Keep us posted on your progress ......... :thumbs2:

7. Elephant

Elephant Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Got it out no problem. I found out after I pulled the large firewall plate that it has a hinging section of sorts that would have allowed me to pull the column (with column shifter tab at the bottom) without removing that large plate. Oh well. Makes it easier to install in pieces now!

8. Elephant

Elephant Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Part 2 of this: the bearing that needs to go in at the bottom of the column is meant for a non-column shift column. The intermediate gear-selector sleeve (the one with the ear at the bottom to work the Rube-Goldberg linkage to the trans) is in the way. If I want to convert to floor shift, can I completely remove this shaft so I can recess the bearing inside the outer accordion tube or does that gear selector shaft/sleeve not come out?

9. jaws81

jaws81 Member

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Where did you land on this? I'm fixing to drop my column tomorrow or Wednesday and love to know as much as possible. My car had a column shift, converted to floor cable shifter by a previous owner. I've swapped the shifter to a factory floor shift and need to swap the column to get rid of the gear selector stuff on the column. I have the floor shift column and am ready to swap it. Will be my first steering column work so I'm flying a little blind.

10. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Did this with my column when converting to a floor shift. Removed the shifter tubes from inside the column, did some body and paint work to the shift lever nub/hole on the side of the column to close it up and smooth it.

71gold and RMiller like this.
  11. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Did that to mine too, a little cutting, JB Weld, sanding and painting. You have to look real close to know something was done to it.