Hybrid Hood

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mavgrabber01, Feb 7, 2005.

1. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Actually, the person that drilled mine drilled each of the litle honey comb holes in the center with about a 1/4 drill. It's not really even noticeable unless you look pretty close. There's probably about 25 or so small holes in each scoop.:huh:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I thought mavgrabber01 was insinuating you could just remove the inserts rather than just drilling them out.

3. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Yeah, thats what I was talking about. I was thinking cosmetic more than performance, I've always wanted everything to be functional, even if it didn't really help anything. Kinda like the old t!t$ on a nun, b^ll$ on a priest deal, ya know? If they don't work, what good are they? Hehehe. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

4. mavgrabber01

mavgrabber01 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    Mavaholic
    I thought mavgrabber01 was insinuating you could just remove the inserts rather than just drilling them out.[/QUOTE]
    That is exactly wwhat i ment

5. mavgrabber01

mavgrabber01 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    man how do u quote people on this board?

6. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Click on the little quote icon just to the right of U. Then you will see Quote in brackets appear twice. Cut and paste what you want to quote, right in between the 2 brackets separating the quotes.

7. mavgrabber01

mavgrabber01 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    thanks mavaholic sorry but iam still a newbie

8. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I still find it hard to believe NASA built air intake scoops that didn't work.
    Nothing personal.
    If you read the NASA engineering info that was publisized heavily by Ford in the early 70s, there was alot of thought put into the design.
    Dave

9. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    The scoops on the Grabber hood actually do grab air if you open them up. Of course it's not functional "ram air" unless ducting is run from the scoop to the air cleaner. The closer the scoop is to the front of the hood, the more evvective it will be, which is why Ford moved the hood scoop on the '68 Mustang forward from where it was located on the '67...

10. mavman427

mavman427 has entered the building.

Vehicle:
    1971 Mav with all the trimmings....302 Auto, Custom buckets, Power Brakes, A/C, PS, Grabber hood, spoiler, and mirrors.
    Yeah, you're right TL. The further forward the scoops are along the hood, the better. The best place is right where air comes into your radiator. That's why they put the radiator where they did, for maximum air flow. Don't get me wrong, the scoops will take air in, there is still air flow close to the surface of the hood, but it's just much much less than 8 inches or more above the surface of the hood. You really won't see a performance benefit at all from making them functional.

I've had a few classes on fluid dynamics because I'm a mechanical engineering major, and this is one of the first things you learn in those classes. As far as the Mach 1 scoops, I really have no first hand knowledge about them. They could have been NASA designed and could be more effective than the normal scoop. If i remember correctly, they have channels on the hood feeding into the scoops, which likely does make them more effective. But again, they are so close to the surface of the hood that it greatly decreases their effectiveness.

Most of these scoops are all about looks. And in 1971-1972, they weren't too concerned about performance as smog regulations and a whole bunch of other things were killing performance anyways. Fact of the matter is if they cater to the masses when they make these production cars. Even though most of these scoops don't affect performance at all, they do look good to most people. However, a big monster snorkel that actually does take in air much more effectively probably wouldn't be too appealing to most people, which is why they don't put them on production cars.

11. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Actually there were no scoops on the 67 or 68 Mustang.

12. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    Unless you got the 428CJ,right?:confused:

13. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    This is true, and this is one reason they supposedly work... the other part is the fact that they are recessed into the hood somewhat. The scoop creates it's own pressure zone.

One thing we are losing sight of though... hood scoops are not actually for 'ram air' effect. You cannot and will not go fast enough in your car to get a supercharger effect, even with a 10" tall scoop. Forward motion and ductwork to your induction system will not compress air. This is a huge misconception folks have with the term 'ram air'.

The one and only positive effect that scoops have on an engine is the temp difference between outside air and underhood air. Cool air into your engine makes more power... ram air into your engine doesn't, unless it is from a blower or turbo. So volume is not the important factor, just temp. Volume is shown to even slow you down as the areodynamics are destroyed by a big scoop, and air can become stagnant in a big scoop as it won't compress and an engine can't take it in fast enough.

In short, holes in the Grabber hood will help draw in cooler air than otherwise, so performance will be helped. Will you feel it? NO! Too small to measure.

Dave

14. mavman427

mavman427 has entered the building.

Vehicle:
    1971 Mav with all the trimmings....302 Auto, Custom buckets, Power Brakes, A/C, PS, Grabber hood, spoiler, and mirrors.
    One other thing to note is that if the hood scoops really did take in a ton more air than normal cars, it would throw off your A/F mixture and the engine would start running like crap, which would kill your power. The fact that that doesn't happen tells you the difference between scoops and no scoops is negligible, doesn't really do much of anything.

15. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Nope.....