I finally did it .... I yanked them!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Oct 16, 2005.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    It will be a while before a complete paint job is in the budget ... once the holes are closed they will be rattle canned for now ... I'm enjoying the car with it's ho-hum paint job because I can drive it and park it anywhere and not worry about chips, scratches or dings ...

2. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Yup ... I've been at cruise-ins the last couple of weekends checking out vinyl tops. Chargers, Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs, Torinos, Cougars, etc .... seen all these cars with vinyl tops the last couple of weeks at shows ...

3. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    The side trim is going to come off my daughter's 74 for sure now. Looks great Dan. I also like the look of the viny topl.
    Talking about fender skirts, I found some in the rafters of a barn I was working on a while back if someone wants them for their Maverick. lol Pretty sure they are for a 62 Chevy but anyone planning on putting skirts on a Maverick will probably have the body work skills to make them fit. lol
    I need to put them on ebay I guess, I'll never have anything they'll fit.
    clint

4. okibono

okibono Member

Dan, do your thing....

5. highhillbilly

highhillbilly Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    dmhines where did you get that maverick model,,,we have looked everywhere for one for my boy,,cant find one no where

6. dmhines

Vehicle:
    It's is just a beat-up Dealer Promo model .. on eBay all the time although most of them aren't very cheap. This one had a crack or two so I didn't mind painting it up and putting the vinyl roof on it ...

7. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    as far as the reasoning behind vinyl tops. the reason they usually put one on at the factory was to hide bad lead work. just about any muscle car could be purchased with one, and you could request one to be added. but the cars that were "just made that way" usually have roughness where the factory roof welds match up. still, my red grabber came with one and im having the leadwork cleaned up and removing the top. if i still had the four door, i would have gone with a more modern cloth top but it would still be on there. good luck with the new top, hope it turns out how you like it(y).

8. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    Dan , I am not one for vinyl tops on a Maverick but after looking at the picture I think it looks pretty neat! It's different and does go well with the black on the hood. Go for it and do it your way. By the way if you add the Grabber stripe ,where you going to get it? I'm looking for an exact replica of an original stripe for a '71 Grabber and haven't had much luck. I did check with Phoenix today and they told me their stripe kit has a Grabber name overlay which is applied over the stripe and that's not what I want. Wonder what that would look like :hmmm:

9. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I think all the companies sell the same strip kit (one makes it .. all 3 distribute it) ... Stencils and Stripes, Graphics Express and Pheonix. I bought my 71 Stripe kit from Graphics Express. You will not find one like the original. The original has the word GRABBER silk-screened onto a reflective stripe. Ford probably had 50,000 of these made so it was not an issue for them to get it done.

These other companies make Grabber stripes to order. They told me that it would cost them too much money to have them silk-screened and they would never get their money back. Not sure if that is true or not. I would think they could silk screen them after they are cut ... but who knows.

Anyway the repops look perfect but the word GRABBER is an additional layer of vinyl on top of the reflective stripe. It seem firmly attached and and unless you looked really close you would not know it wasn't silk screened. I just make sure when I am washing or waxing my car I avoid rubbing on the GRABBER decal so there is no way it could accidently peel up. I have it on my car for over a year and it still looks perfect.

The first picture is original ... The second is reproduction ...

I'm still impressed by how nice my Grabber was on I got it! :bananaman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  10. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    Thanks for the info. Your right ...pretty hard to tell the difference but still a shame they don't silk screen it like an original.

11. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I just didn't (and still don't) think that Dan needed "reminding" of his option, he's a big boy. He's gonna do what he wants with his car no matter what I say.

I have always respected you (you're one of the coolest and most knowledgable members here), and no, I've never thought that Dan was a "brainless, totally tasteless idiot". His red Grabber is to die for, and the gold Mav is taking shape nicely. I have enjoyed watching the transformation. I just like giving Dan $#!t about it, just like I did to "Scooper" regarding his side-pipes. I also am very opinionated and I love to express it here, since no one can pull me through my computer screen and beat the crap out of me for it.:biglaugh:

Personally, I would never put a vinyl top on any car that didn't have one to begin with:tsk: --especially my Maverick, and I would remove it if it had one. Neither would I ever put side-pipes on anything other than a Shelby Cobra or an old T-bucket.

In any case, I didn't mean to come across as nasty. I just think it's a bit ridiculous when (it's happened before) someone tells another person that "it's your car and you don't have to do what so-&-so says if you don't want to", because that is just stating the blatently obvious.

I was just ribbing and spouting off. It's not to be taken personally by anyone... :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  12. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Don't worry about it men ... if folks don't want feedback, opinions or wisecracks ... they shouldn't be posting stuff on the internet! :)

Most folks now-a-days believe the goverment should protect them from being offended ... I on the other hand .. believe the government should protect the right to offend ...

13. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Thanks for the response T. L. I thought I had really messed up and you were ignoring me because I had made this post on 10/02.

You do love me.:oops::dance::bananaman:clap:

14. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    My feelings have been hurt.:cry: :cry: :cry:

15. dmhines

Vehicle:
    T.L. ... I do have a surprise for you ... will post pictures next week ... :)