I Give Up!!!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Sep 9, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Epoxy Primer. I don't want it all over my tools, floor, emergency generator, air compressor, and Rolandag2's welder... :D

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Looks Awesome!! how did you like using it? dry time? etc??

3. rolandag2

rolandag2 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick Grabber
    body work

hey haven't you guys heard of getting your (mexican):rofl2: buddy to do the body work I've heard that they are good with bondo and hammers. By the way I'm not trying to make it racial thing since I'm a mexican just think its funny. we'll do all the jobs everyone else doesn't want to do just joking:D . Really Scoop the fenders look good and i bet if you practice some you could do damned fine body work no problem.

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I really liked the epoxy primer...and did I mention that it smells really good? :D

It is a little hassle with all the separate cans and all, and having to measure enough to use (or throw the rest out). It was a 2 parts primer to 1 part catalyst, then about another .5-1 part reducer. I used HVLP gun at about 15 psi, and if I wasn't working in a low tent and had the parts off the floor, it really would have been a nicer job.

I like the finish, it is almost a semi-gloss, kinda reminds me of the paint you find on the walls in new homes. I have a couple of little runs, but I will leave them, since there is just more primer in those areas for more protection until I have it done "professionally" (or "mexicanally", if that was an offer :rolleyes: ).

I wouldn't mind having the entire car this color, even. A dark gray. The paint guy said it will get brittle if left in the sun for a couple years, but he said I could shoot a clear coat over it and it would last forever. Mine is garage kept so I am not worried about it.

The only other problem is the $100 per gallon of shootable material (that is all the primer, catalyst, and reducer mixed). But, like they say, you get what you pay for.

I don't really know what the dry time was, since I sprayed it and got out of there and went out for lunch. When I came back, maybe 3-4 hours had elapsed and it was completely dry. I would guess that it was cured within 30-45 minutes. While i was spraying, my shoes stuck to the floor within 20 seconds, so dry time might have been quicker than 30 minutes.

Easy cleanup with laquer thinner. In fact, the only proof I have that I painted today (other than the pictures) is just a little gray under one fingernail. And I am usually a pretty messy person when in project-mode :huh:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  5. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    Be careful my friend, those 2 part primers, and urethane clears (the ones with catalyst) contain isocyanates which are extremely harmful. I sure hope you were wearing some sort of mask especially since you were spraying in such a small confined area, in hindsight it would have been better to spray in a more open area. Theres been lots of people that have developed respitory problems, including asthma from exposure to this stuff after only a few times. You cannot smell isocyanates which makes them really dangerous. What you were smelling was the primer and the isocyanates float along with that. But actually the worst time for exposure is when opening the can and about 30 mins to an hour after priming or clearing, thats when the most iso's are being released and since you cant smell them you have no idea your breathing in all those harmful toxicins! Just be careful and take precautions with the stuff. Don't be breathing that stuff in on purpose, you could really be damaging your lungs not even knowing it!

6. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Fenders look awesome(y)

I wish, i had to clean up my uncles bondo mess on the truck:slap:

7. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I am wearing a two-cannister respirator, but I don't think it is supposed to work with isocyanates (sp?). I wasn't sure if this primer had them or not. The rest of the painting I am doing in the garage with the door half open and a fan running. I just threw a cover over the things I don't want spotty, and I found that my gun really oversprays very little.

I shot the undersides of the fender lips and the part that the hood sits on today. Tomorrow, i want to shoot one more coat over the entire top and sides, just for extra protection and good even coverage.

Thanks for the warning on the paint...Luckily, I have only shot maybe 10 minutes total, so my exposure isn't anything like if I painted an entire car. I will make sure there is plenty of fresh air in the garage tomorrow...

8. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    looks good scott