I paint my car!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Noah W, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Noah W

Noah W Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    The old paint was pretty well intact, just really screwed up. So I roughed it up real good.
    A few parts got sanded down to bare metal due to surface rust, but they were small.
    Now, for the cool part...
    I was @ a friends house yesterday, and they live behind a body shop.
    One of the guys there heared my car pull up, came out and struck up a conversation about Mavericks. Asked if I was going to wet sand the primer and repaint.
    I told him I was short on funds, and the quotes I have been given so far were way to damn expensive for my pocket. He told me that his first car his dad bought him was a 74 Maverick Same as mine, and that he would really like to paint her for me.....
    For......... $150.
    Sand the primer, and pro spray the car.... Satin Black!
    DUDE I AM FREAKING STOKED!...
    The love of Mavericks in others is starting to show itself in my world...
    And I like it!
    I'll post pics when I get it done.

2. rocker804

rocker804 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 250I6
    CONGRATZ MAN! thats so sick dude you're going to have to post pictures of it when its done!Yea I want to paint mine A dark metallic blue as soon as i get the cash but who knows, maybe ill get luck like you ;)

3. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    That's great!

4. Noah W

Noah W Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    Ok, so... I went to get the for mentioned paint job. Long story short. I nicely explained to the man that the term (one fifty), means (one hundred and fifty dollars).
    To him one fifty meant $1,500.00. He apparently never heard of the terms such as.
    (Fifteen Hundred!) or ( Thousand five)... I would even have excepted the term
    (One Five).
    @$$Clown!
    Oh well, that just means I get to try out the roller paint job I have been researching for 3 months. Seems to be a commonly used method for the $ less!

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. white trash

white trash Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick 6cyl auto field find junker
    I have seen the roller method done in a couple places. I have not seen it in person though. I think I am going to try it on my work truck first. If I do ok I am going to do the car. Have you made any progress yet on yours? Any pics if you have?

6. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Roller-painting is used pretty often over here, usually by broke teenagers with old Volvos and Opels :p Rarely with any good results i must add :p
    Usually see traces off dripping paint etc. on them..

7. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    If you can find one, you should check out the July '07 issue of Hot Rod magazine, there's a cool article in there called "Get a good paint job for $98"

Basically, they painted their project car (early Falcon) with Rust-Oleum, applied with a roller!....the trick to making it work is lots and lots (really lots!) of elbow grease...applying a coat, wet sanding , applying another coat, more wet sanding, etc. etc.

Their results were outstanding, considering

It's dirt cheap, minuimal safety eqipment needed, don't need a spray booth, easy clean up, anyone can pitch in and help and it's easy to touch-up.

The draw backs are that it's time consuming, labor intensive, only basic enamel finish, and limited color choices.

They cover the entire job, step-by-step, in the article.

I've got a white Mustang II Mach-1 with black trim I'm thinking about trying this on.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008