I went and picked up a nice '72 Grabber for a friend

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by z28th1s, Jun 20, 2015.

1. z28th1s

z28th1s MCCI State Rep Coordinator

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick Grabber, '75 Comet GT, '70 Maverick (Grabber tribute)
    I told a friend of mine about this car that I posted about last week.

http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/low-mileage-v8-72-grabber.104325/

I told him about the car last Friday. He got me to contact the seller last Saturday. They ended up making a deal over the phone last Sunday. He paid me to go get the car in South Bend, IN for him yesterday. 1,450 miles and 26 hours later and I got it back to VA at 4:15 AM this morning.

I slept 5 hours and then deliverd the car to him this morning. He is very happy with it! He also has a 2013 Shelby GT 500, a fully restored '69 Boss 302 and an original paint '70 Boss 302 that he bought when he was 17 years old and was able to track it down a few years ago and buy it back. He has a very nice 40' x 80' garage that he keeps them in. The Maverick will have a nice place to stay!!

The car has 47K original miles. It came with the original window sticker. It was bought new in Spokane, WA. From what I can tell it has the original paint. The car was obvisously garage kept and all of the stainless trim is in excellent shape. I think it still has the original exhaust system on it. It has only been driven about 1,000 miles since 1993 and was stored in a barn. It was also rust proofed when new as it has rubber plugs in the doors, door jams and trunk area.

It has the 302 V8 and automatic trans. I forgot to take a picture of the window sticker and door data tag though! The options on the car were auto trans, power steering, bucket seats, floor mounted shifter, tinted glass, optional size tires and convenience group. It has the mini console in it, but since it wasn't listed on the window sticker I guess the original owner had it put in later. Also the lower dash has been painted red.

The car is very nice, especially the interior! The door panels are beautiful! It has a few parking lots dings and the chrome on the rear bumper near where the trailer hitch is mounted isn't the best, but besides that is a very nice example of a low mileage Grabber.

He plans to get a paintless dent guy to try and get the parking lot dings out of the car and will just touch up and areas of the paint that needs work. He may have to have the back panel resprayed satin black as it is kind of stained from gasoline and some car wax.

He is also going to spray the lower dash back black like it should be. He says he might rechrome the rear bumper, depending on how it looks after removing the hitch and cleaning the bumper.

The only mods he has planed is to put on a set of 15x7 Magnum 500 wheels that he already has that came on his '69 Boss 302. They have BFG Radial TA tires on them. He put a brand new set on his Boss even though these were very nice.

The muffler has a hole in it and he says he will probably just put a nice dual exhaust setup on the car. Besides that he is just going to enjoy taking the car to cruise-ins and getting it out to drive since he doesn't drive his Boss cars much (the '69 is strickly a trailer queen).

Here are the pics I took yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. z28th1s

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Here are pics I took today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. z28th1s

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Here is a picture I took of the firewall. It has somethink wrote on it. Not sure what it is for. Here is what is says:

J

3-10-72

Not sure what that is for. The door sticker says the car was built 2/72. The 1583, didn't match any of the numbers in the VIN. I thought maybe it was when the car was rust proofed? Anybody else have any ideas on what is might mean?

[​IMG]

Krazy Comet likes this.
  4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I am going to guess it is a car dealer stock number.

5. z28th1s

Garage:
    Vehicle:

OK, interesting!

He talks like he is going to get a Marti Report for the car. That would tell if it was ordered for dealer stock or if it was ordered by the original owner. He says he might go ahead and get one of the Elite Reports.

Craig Selvey likes this.
  6. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Really nice shape inside and out but about that trailer hitch :coco:

7. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    That is one nice car. The red on the dash would drive me crazy! It sounds like the car has found a great home and an owner who will appreciate it for what it is. Good Job!!

I know the bumper can be rechromed, but now it has two extra holes and a few waves in it for that trailer hitch... :( You are a lucky dog to be able to go out and spend other people's money on such a nice car. :thumbs2:

8. Paul Masson

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    The 1583 could be the rotation number off the build sheet, but I've never seen them write all four digits and I've certainly never seen it written on the cowl. In all honesty, it doesn't look 'factory'. Craig is probably right about it being added by the dealer.

9. z28th1s

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I agree about the bumper Paul! One thing I know is that anything that isn't to the new owner's liking will be addressed and he doesn't mind spending money to get things like he wants them.

Paul Masson likes this.
  10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Call me crazy......but I would probably fix THAT bumper because that is the original bumper to THAT car.

11. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Awesome car. What a hideous trailer hitch. I can't believe anyone would put something like that on there.

12. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    Good looking car and trailer. Love the wheels,excelent details.

z28th1s likes this.
  13. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    Nice. That car is what my build was based upon.

I'm with Craig on the earlier posting, I did not think you could get a consolette and a floor shift. I could not get it to fit in mine. Maybe I have too much sound deadener or maybe I got the measurement for the floor shifter hole wrong. Looks good together.

Micag

14. Paul Masson

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    I just noticed, too that the factory hold-downs are still attached, even though the sticker telling the dealer to remove them and return them to Ford is CLEARLY visible!

I keep looking at the photographs. What a nice car. I also realized that on my Marti-Report, there is a 4-digit number listed under "DSO Item". Could this be the "1583" written on the cowl?

15. z28th1s

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

I had never noticed those 4 numbers on any of my Marti Reports before. Good catch! IIRC the DSO on this car is 74.