Ignition Lock Removal w/o Key

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Erick-Mav, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I've read that you have to have the key to remove the ignition key lock cylinder. Has anyone removed the cylinder without a key? Problem is I don't have a key and I've already bought a new ignition/door/trunk lock set with keys and don't want to spend the money to get the lock re-keyed by a locksmith. I've heard of some people drilling out the center. Anyone try this? I wonder how a locksmith makes a key???

2. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    When I got my '71......I changed the key cylinder with no key by removing the steering wheel and t/s switch. On some of the later models you may need a key. Any Ford key should do the job......Someone correct me if I am wrong

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I don't think you need a key. Just remove the steering wheel and that should give you access to the assembly for the lock cylinder. You may have to remove the turn signal switch assembly as well, I really don't remember...

4. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I don't think the pin that locks it into the column will let you push it in without it being in the ON position, so without a key, it will be stuck in the OUT position.

That pin is all that holds it in. Once you get the steering wheel and turn signal out of the way, you could try drilling it (the small pin) out until it will clear the slot and slide out.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Scott has it.

6. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    Yeah, I took the whole thing apart and all that's left is the dang metal housing and the ignition key cylinder and it won't come out.

Are you guys sure that it is just that little pin that holds it in? If so, drilling it out should be pretty easy. Thanks guys.:tiphat:

7. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    YUP! I have 2 in the toolbox with keys, and checked them out and that is all that holds it in.

Again, it won't compress without being turned ON. So I am pretty sure you could drill it down below the level of the cylinder and it should come right out.

8. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    Great, thank you!

9. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    I would just pick the lock and turn it 1/4 turn.
    The lock tumblers that keep it from turning will also keep it from pulling out unless they are held down either by a key or by the housing (ie: turned a little)
    drilling a hole that is about 1/4" should allow the springs to drop and the tumblers with them.