I'm new guys! look at my cherry farmerjimbobmobile!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by farmerjimbob, Aug 8, 2019.

1. farmerjimbob

farmerjimbob My names Bryce

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 4-Door V8
    The Farmerjimbobmobile!
    [​IMG]
    Custom rust work!
    [​IMG]
    Attention to detail....
    [​IMG]

Hello all! just wanted to show off my sweet maverick! shes so purdy Chevy boys even want to touch it for a nickle! notice the fine detail i put into my pin-striping, how i ever so gently applied the custom rust to as many parts of the body and chassis as i could without making it fall in on itself. takes a steady hand to do this kind of rust work. i even have that super Eco green engine under the hood. it breathes in air, and releases that same clean air. it is made of an amazing space age material called... air. i plan on rubbing some of the rarest, finest southern mud into the seats to get the most custom upholstery job this forum has ever seen. the ladies will be running away from it for fear of getting filthy from being near it. wait a minute. im doing this all wrong.... lol

actually, that is a picture of what it was after sitting for more than a decade, uncovered, neglected, and put out of mind. i treated her like a real jerk! well it has come time to pull her out of the bushes and finally finish my rebuild on the maverick.

it started in 2002. me and my dad bought this 1973 ford maverick from a fella who bought it from the showroom floor back in 73. it was his daily driver for a good long time, and he told us he mostly drove his work truck so when it stopped pulling he wasn't too attached to it anymore. (by the way, it was in far better shape in 2002. this guy took great care of it) we payed $800 bucks for it loaded it on the trailer and went on down the road. we were only about 7 miles from home so we didn't even bother with straps and chains, we just put it in park, and tightened the winch cable that was hooked onto the crossbar. we came to the 4 way stop at the halfway home point, stopped, and took off.... the maverick came unhooked, rolled off the trailer, and into the yard next to us. :facepalm: we tie stuff down now lol well turns out when we loaded it back up we found out why it quit pulling, and why it rolled off the trailer. one of the the universal joint bolts at the back axle had sheered off, and the axle was just dragging. we got it home, 8 dollar u joint, a drill bit, tap, and a new bolt we were screaming up the road in this 73 V8 maverick with its thrush glass-pack muffler screaming.

my pops decided he wanted to keep it as a fun little ride to run around in from time to time, so we parked it, and it didn't get touched for 10 years.

in 2012, i asked my dad if he was ever gonna do anything with it, and he told me he was just too busy to mess around with the old thing, and signed the title over to me. i went out, bought a battery, cleaned the 2 bbl carb thoroughly, and the cranked right up without any issues. i tagged and insured it, and started driving it as my daily driver for a couple of months before the trans went out on me. it got towed back to my dads house pulled the motor to rebuild it, and look for a new trans and there it sat for another few years til early 2016 when i brought it home and decided to bring her back to life. the above picture was taken when i went to pick 'er up....

this is where the story will begin.
    i will post all my rebuild pics, and show you folks how it went from this above to this below.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and how the motor went from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

in a matter of about 3 or 4 months

the story doesnt stop there either i got her rebuilt, loads of new parts, tagged it and took her down the road to have it overheat on me.... so it got taken back out to my pops place in the country once again where the weeds and bushes decided to accept it as one of their own, and it set for another couple years. today august 7th 2019 i decided gonna see this thing through. talked to a machine shop, gonna get the block out, and they are going to find the cracked cylinder(s) sleeve and hone this puppy, and im gonna do it again. but this time im taking her all the way. heres the pics when i rolled her out of the bushes today

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ill post about my 2016 rebuild, and then i will start posting about my 2019 rebuild to finish
    i read over a few posts here this seems like a great maverick form, a lot of positive people posting, i hope to bring you guys a lot of what im doing, and i hope to get some feedback, and encouragement from this seemingly awesome forum community.

if anybody has any questions on my build, or suggestion im open to all.
    if (and i know ill hear it) you are wondering why im rebuilding a 4-door mav... its because if you google "maverick" all you see is 2 door mavs. if you see 4 door, usually they are aged and sad. they seem a lot more rare to see than a grabber. i personally also think the 4 door looks really great. this pic below is what initially motivated me to start working on my maverick.

[​IMG]

I know it looks a lot tougher because it has a chopped top and all, but honestly if I could find a shop that is comfortable doing this I probably would chop the top.... but have yet to find one. not a lot of old school shops around here anymore :huh:

Well thanks for having me, and checking out my post! I look forward to posting, rummaging through yalls posts, and getting this maverick right! have a great night! :thumbs2:
    -Bryce

stumanchu and krelboyne like this.
  2. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Seems like you enjoy writing a tale and with humor!

Welcome to the site from northeast Ohio!!! :tiphat:

farmerjimbob likes this.
  3. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Welcome from the Northeast! Very impressive work done.

farmerjimbob likes this.
  4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    :Welcome: to the forum!

Looks like a lot of nice work there …………….. thanks for posting about it ……………..:tiphat:

farmerjimbob likes this.
  5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    X4.

farmerjimbob likes this.
  6. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    To own a 4 door Mav you have to have some humor in you. JK it is a Mav and thats all that counts and I have seen several that look every bit as good as a 2 door and they are far easier to get more than 2 people in than a 2 door especially the 74 and up with the stupid seat belt retractor in the sill . Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing and reading more about it.

BTW we love pics

farmerjimbob likes this.
  7. farmerjimbob

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Im 6'4" and struggle to sit in the driver seat of most anything 2 door. I have to be able to get that seat way back lol

Also i take a lot of pics! More than happy to share em. Thanks a lot everyone for the welcomes! I think ill enjoy this board.

So where would i post my 2016 rebuild recap, in General discussion perhaps?

8. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I think I would post it in the Garage section that you started for the car, perhaps a moderator can move all this discussion to that area then everything would be together.

This board one of the nicest places you can find on the net and by far has the most information about Mavericks and Comets that you will find, sure there is always a little bickering but not much, there use to be a lot more people that frequented this forum but most have moved on to Facebook

farmerjimbob likes this.
  9. farmerjimbob

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, ill put up my new post in the garage this evening
    I despise facebook so ill stick around here lol :party5:

10. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Lol....As Paul Harvey would have said, that is...The rest of the story! Thanks for sharing it.

farmerjimbob likes this.
  11. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Welcome to the forum :Handshake:
    Being as you are 6'4", I would ditch the top chop idea -- no need to build something you are uncomfortable using.
    I like the idea of 4dr. as you say "they are rarely seen". There was a green 4dr. on the forum that was very nice -- I believe it was lost to a fire. Good luck w/ the project....

farmerjimbob likes this.
  12. farmerjimbob

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    i did consider the chop top probably encroaching on my head room, but i figured i could make some custom seat mounts to compensate. that's a piece down the road although. thanks for the welcome!

did that green 4 door have white racing stripes, and a large ford decal in the back window?
    if so i might have pics of it on my old hard drive from some time ago

here it is
    wasn't this fella was it
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

its always a shame to lose a car, but this was also one of the mavericks that made me want to breathe life into mine again..

13. eztony

eztony Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Thanks for nice post. Enjoyed it.

farmerjimbob likes this.
  14. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    That's the car I had in mind. I would be proud to have owned it. Everytime I closed a door getting in or out, would have a BIG smile on my face. Longer wheelbase, smoother ride, and not everybody has one.
    Anxious to see how your build goes.

farmerjimbob likes this.
  15. Garystac

Garystac Member

Vehicle:
    None (for now)
    That looks good. Welcome to the forum!