Inline six swaps

Discussion in 'Non-Ford Engines' started by 6inarow, Jul 31, 2015.

1. 6inarow

6inarow Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    Knowing I'm in the right sub forum, I've been toting around the idea of installing an inline six from another donor.

There are two jap engines that is look at, the 2jz, and the 7m, which are both Toyota inline sixes. I didnt mention Nissan RB engines, cause I'm trying to choose an engine that is readily available. Both Toyota engines make great power in a light package, but the 7m would be far easier to wire. The 2jz is an incredible engine, and a stout candidate to boost.

Those engines are great, but not the only options. Bmw makes some fantastic engines, but fitting may be an issue due to the canted engine design. Tons of engines, ranging from 2.0 inline six, to a 3.8 ITB beast. They've been running sixes forever, and IMO, the best. Definitely not the cheapest, but damn fine engineering.

So now my wife asks me, ford doesn't make inline sixes anymore?

Well not in America. The barra 4.0 in some Australian fords is a wicked piece of work. DOHC, 24 valve, optional turbo, the works. Easy 320hp out of the box.

Trying to build a maverick with a more modern inline six. I love the balance of 7 main bearings, and the weight balance as well.

What are your thoughts?

2. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
  3. aussie maverick

aussie maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick ex ed davis
    The Australins Barra 4.0 is the perfect candidate, with upgraded rods,a better intake and a good exhaust these engines make a reliable 500 hp at the wheels

4. fuelish351

fuelish351 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick Grabber 2.3 Turbo
    I have been kicking around the idea of doing another "different" kind of swap in my new Maverick, I like the 2jz but cost would be a factor for me as it is the second Maverick cant drive them both at the same time.

check out this website
    http://www.engineswapdepot.com/

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Member

Vehicle:
    1971 comet gt
    I've thought about the barra engine in a maverick for awhile now, i think it would be an awesome combo.

6. 6inarow

6inarow Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    It would be, but I fear that the engine is really long, and may cause fitting issues or a little custom fab work. Fitting an American trans to the Barra is a no go either. So really, getting the whole package from Oz would be preferable. Maintenance parts would be a bear, just buy a lot of filters, and small stuff all at once and in large quantities.