Interior dash repair

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Wolf Mcbee, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Wolf Mcbee

Wolf Mcbee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    image.jpg image.jpg Hey everybody, haven't been here in a while, I decided to keep my maverick, just couldn't sell it, I started work on the dash, I removed the headliner, etc. and all weatherstripping, I pulled the plastic dash out and the previous owner had drilled all these unnecessary holes and uneven gauge holes, I'm guessing it wasn't professionally done (amateur work :disagree:) so I ordered some JB-Weld plastic putty, I got some cardboard and taped it behind the holes so I have a flat surface, I then mixed the putty and pulled and moosh it together till I got from a blue to a white ish grayish color and put it in the hole and spread it with my fingers till it covered the gaps and flat enough so I can sand it, then I let it set for about 4 hours (technically the whole night) by morning it was cured so you can see my finger prints XP so I sanded it down and here's my results, I also filled the screw holes as noticed

Attached Files:

rthomas771 and 71gold like this.
  2. Wolf Mcbee

Wolf Mcbee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    Tomorrow I am going to fix all the cracks and broken pieces and I'll post my progress!! And sand it all down

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I see a lot of the 73 up dash pieces cracked/broken...good to see there is a fix...that was the reason I replaced mine with the early tray.

4. Wolf Mcbee

Wolf Mcbee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    Yea agreed, I did a ton of research before I bought something that wouldn't work, I read a lot of the comments and reviews and was pleased and the one thing I like is when it cures, it hardens so your able to drill through it, etc. but I didn't really wanna buy a new one since I'm trying to save as much money as I can, I'm also doing the putty method to my other interior plastic pieces like the quarter panel for the seatbelts and the plastic piece in between the doors (4 door) but Progress is coming through, just have to have patience

5. Wolf Mcbee

Wolf Mcbee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    My package is taking longer then expected -_- should hopefully be here today like it said on Friday, then I'll start working on the dash again, I got it 45% sanded down, I have bought a few things or two from harbor freight for sanding down the body of the car, can't wait

6. Wolf Mcbee

Wolf Mcbee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    So it finally arrived at 5:45, but finally happy it came, I had to hold some of the pieces together by hand till the glue dried on all the cracks and broken pieces since some of the plastic that was broke twisted, I'm gonna then sand down the glue then go over it with Jb-weld and fill in the cracks and smooth it over and sand it
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Y960MU/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_post_o2_img

Attached Files: