Isocyanates

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by just1993, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I will add that I had to get ABG(arterial blood gas) tests everyday for a week. Since that time I have no tolerance for strong chemical smells, smoke, charcoal lighter burning, and the worse is that when it happened I coughed so hard that I tore my esophogus, which I still fight today with problems. I also use a painters suit when I am doing anything more than a panel spray.
    Dan

2. timers

timers Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    I don't always do it but I wear a dual filter mask and the filters have a guaze or paper then charcol in the filter. I'm not a big painter but I have heard that the fumes go through your eyes and your skin quick so I try to use those rubber clear goggles and tape up the air holes on the goggles and cover all my skin. With me I have a hot water heater in the garage I have to remember to turn out the pilot light. No i need to remember to turn it back on so the family has hot water. I feel like I've done a good job on the Maverick and fixing to paint another little Ford.

3. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

wearing a HEPA filter with a charcoal canister is fine, Supplied air is best, but nobody can afford that setup, and if you can, can i come over and use it? lol

as long as you have adequate ventilation and a HEPA filter on a full face resprator, you will be ok.

just before you start painting.. get the entire garage floor swept and washed with water.

ventilation ideas.. if in a garage. open the garage door about 2-3 feet, high enough for a box fan to fit under it and not fall over. put 2 box fans under the garage door. use carboard to block off the rest of the open areas under the garage door.

point the fans OUT of the garage, so the air is blowing out.. make sure that there arent any cars outside the fans area. buy some air filters for your house, the cloth kind, spray both sides with anti static spray of your choice, attach one filter in front of the fan, and one on the outside of the fan, ( multiply this for how many fans you are using)

hopefully you have another door or window leading outside. if you do.. open this door, and use cardboard to block the door off.. cut out 2-3 openings, the size of the air filters. insert the air filters in the cutouts, again apply some anti static spray on the filters.

the anti static spray is used to attract the dust, dirt etc, from coming through the filters and geting onto your paint..

this setup works great. i have used it a couple times at a few friend's homes.

just before you start spraying.. wet the garage floor one more time.. this keeps the dust from flying up from under the car and onto the paint... keeping the floor wet is good.. just make sure you are not splashing and getting water onto the vehicle

have a helper hold your air line