Just Tried RUST BULLIT - Floorboards

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Acornridgeman, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
  2. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    How is Rust Bullit applied, is it with brush?

3. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Brush or spray. 2 coats within 24 hours is best. Check that web link in an earlier post to get all the details from their company.

4. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    when you did the fiberglass repair of the small holes, did you put the first coat of Bullit on first then repair with the 'glass, or did you take the thing to bare metal, then fix with 'glass, then apply the Bullit, just wondering if there are areas where the 'glass is covering rust" , then Bullit over that? what is the best way here, it seems to me you'd want to
    treat the rust with a coat of Bullit, then 'glass it, then cover with another coat or 2 of Bullit, Is this only available on their website? My Comet might be a perfect candidate for this stuff, but I don't want Untreated rust up under the Fiberglass,

5. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Rust can't progress without oxygen. So what I did was use a wire wheel on my angle grinder and remove all the loose stuff, paint, ect - leaving just the holes and bare metal. Then I repaired the holes with generous amounts of fiberglass resin and cloth. After that set, I sealed it all with the 2 coats of Rust Bullit. I can't see why it would ever come back. BUT - one thing to remember is if its a hole on the inside of the car, it's a hole from the bottom side too. You will have to get under the car (rotisserie here is a wonderful thing to have) and get the holes sealed from that side too. Otherwise rain and road splash will work its way under and into the repair. Whatever you seal on one side needs to be sealed from the other side. That is the difference between a 5 year repair and one that will last 25 years.

As far as where to buy it, I've only found the internet. Never saw it at a big car show. UPS gets it to me in 2 days from Texas.

Good luck,
    Eric J

6. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks "Acorn" My Comet has floors that I think are about like yours were, , my Trink has some too, what kind of 'glass did you use? In your pict is that fiberglass by the back
    footwells next to tunnel? in the before picts. Did you then sand the fiberglass down before treating it?

7. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Yea, that's fiberglass in the back footwells too. I think that area was damaged by a misplaced floor jack or hydraulic lift sometime in the cars life. I've seen that type of damage before. Happens when people don't know where to place a jack on a unit body car.

I use just the plain old smelly resin and fiberglass cloth, and lots of it.

Eric J

8. jpollard

jpollard Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Factory 302 Mav. 1970 Cougar Eliminator, 1975 302 Grabber, 1976 4door 200...and still looking
    I used it on all kinds of stuff and so far it is holding up wonderful although the car has not seen a whole lot of road time yet. I used it for the timing chain cover, hinges, thermostat housing, trunk, undercarriage, inside the bumpers, battery box and a whole lot more. Nothing has peeled for flaked. I used a spray gun for most of the apps. I seems to resist chemicals great. I recently removed the thermostat housing and it was as clean as the day I painted it, inside and out. Overall I am very happy with the stuff but only time will tell just how good it is.......... It has been on my car for about a year. All the silver in my engine compartment is rust bullet except for the intake and heads.

JP