"Knee Deep In it Now!!!!"

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jay Johnson, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    I don't really think there is much disagreement here. I would vote for Jay to step up the performance details to the level of a Performer RPM setup or equivalent. That would mean stepping up the details on his chosen cam and ditching the Performer manifold idea. What he needs now are some specific ideas on timing etc. Looking forward to hearing what the compression works out to. There are lots of guys here with similar engines so please step up and help out Jay with more ideas.

:party3:

MD

mojo likes this.
  2. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT

I see that now. The summit pic was too blurry to make it out at first. If it's forged then it's probably an ICON, which is just an optioned out KB piston designed to be symmetrical/installed either side of motor. Either way.. the combustion space ends up gaining 11 cc's which is rarely good for a smaller short stroke non-boosted motor. It's a 331?.. so some assumptions can be made in that pin height allowances are obviously in the 1.165" - 1.175" range. Deck height is another consideration. 0 deck is usually best but people rarely pay the extra money when building budget motors. AFR 185 heads only come in 58 and 72cc config's and seems safe to assume most people wouldn't choose a bigger chamber on a littler N/A motor like this.

As for the pinging @12°?.. not much I can say is that thing still needs some more tuning, IMO. 10.4 SCR with medium performance cam ain't squat these days, especially with AL heads, when you consider that there are many running locked out timing into the 30+° ranges on the street. In fact I have helped some around here do exactly that with great results. These cars are lighter and shorter gears help out even more when it comes to pushing timing into a motor. Manifold vacuum goes sky high, mixture quality and gas velocity improves(intake AND exhaust), throttle response improves because the booster comes in quicker and more precisely(carb actually becomes more "tuneable"). Aside from higher NOx levels.. there is absolutely no downside. Well, maybe traction limited cars can be detuned to control torque hits to the tires but that's just a bandaid for specific traction limited combo's. And wider LSA/milder lobed cams like yours usually don't ping as easily as tighter LSA cam's.. I would keep tuning till it didn't. Bit if you're happy enough with what you got?.. that's good because you're the one driving it and that's all that matters.

BTW, good to see you back around here these days. More engine knowledge base is good for this forum.

Maverick Dude likes this.
  3. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Happy with it ? Been that way for 13 years now (y) It gets better with age. Last thing it needs is more power. Damned thing's a beast since I put the 4 speed in it 3 years ago .:evilsmile:

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Nice. Something to be said about being content and not fiddling around with things too much. Keeps your back healthier and the car on the road more. :yup:

5. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Got that right ! Startin to feel my age when having to getting out from under it and off the floor. :whew: Had to pull the engine to replace a bent rod recently, that was something I really didn't feel like doing. Brings to mind that old sayin, If it ain't broke don't fix it. We pulled carpet out of one bedroom last year. I cut it up into pieces to lay on under the car. :idea: Sure beats cold damp concrete ! :coco::thumbs2:

6. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I hear ya there. Gutted and re-tiled our entry/kitchen/dining area recently.. so I know about having difficulty standing up straight lately.

7. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    Hello Jay. Did the machine shop come back with a calculated compression ratio?

:scratchchin:

MD

8. Jay Johnson

Jay Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick

Well my Maverick Family, thanks for all your input, suggestions and support. I will try and give my up dates and details soon, but for now I am still Knee Deep in It.... and it is fun!!!! :chirp: Check out the sequential tail lights.... Thanks DigiTails, they looking pretty sexxy!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:

9. tbirdz12

tbirdz12 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav
    with a 331 for street use and those AFR 185s, I would go RPM Air Gap (min), Vic Jr (max), 10.4 CR, 1-5/8 headers, a nice 6500 rpm HR cam, 650 carb min..... but that's just me :) Have fun!!