Koni shocks in ´74 maverick

Discussion in 'Technical' started by FinnMav, Dec 15, 2018.

1. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Hi guys !

Does someone know a part# for adjustable koni shocks to 74 maverick ? In front and in rear.

Do you have experiences to tell about koni shocks ?

I understand that they are used a lot in early Mustangs.

-Finn

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Finn:
    Our Mav/Comet can use Koni Adjustable Front shocks for 65-70 Mustang, think they call them "Classic Koni's", same 5 setting fully adjustables that Shelby used on his Mustangs, they work period! and can be rebuilt........
    Koni did make the same fully adjustable for our Mav/Comet rears p/n: 80-2235 but they are long out of production. The ones used on early Mustangs will not fit, as they use thread studs on both ends, on our cars, upper mounting is "eye" and lower is threaded........
    With my 620 lb/in front cut down Boss 302 front springs and heavy duty 5 1/2 rear leaves, the Koni's where the only shocks that could properly dampen/control my ride, not to mention fully rebuildable! I have tried many other shocks prior, Monroe's, old Sears Heavy Duty, KYB's etc., and Koni's work perfectly for my set up........
    If you just have stock suspension, KYB gas shocks would be fine.
    David
    P1010853.JPG P1010617.JPG

3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Hey David, how does the car ride on the street w/ 5+ rear leaves? I had 4 leaves "removed one leaf". I rode the car about 4 1/2 years w/ the spine busting General 4 leafs; couldn't take it any longer -- removed bottom leaf. Even w/ the leaf removed, rides a little stiffer than I like for a cruiser -- but tolerable.
    I have seen a lot of our cars at MCCI RUp's and can't recall seeing one w/that many leafs. I assume those are custom units?

4. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Hi Everett:
    Yes, the ride was "harsh" with 5 1/2 leaves, but with the "Koni's" it helped dampened the ride, still probably too stiff for most people, but I was in more for the handling. If you recall, I have been working with Doug at Global West to adapt their Category 5 (CAT 5) system onto our Mav/Comet. I have since installed a new main leaf and removed one leaf, so now have 4 1/2 leaves. I probably won't have time to install in the car until next year, but I have driven my buddies 65 Mustang with the same de-arched 4 1/2 leaf CAT 5 and the ride is much more smoother, because of the "bearing" system, any bind from rubber bushings are now gone and the suspension works as it should. I would compare it with going from the original OEM spring perches to roller ones, may give you some sort of idea, since you have done the roller spring perch thing........
    Below is video of how the CAT 5 system works, for those of you who are interested......

While it may not be for everyone, for me this was what I have been looking for, this system has actually been around for 30 years and used in SCCA class road racing.

Something else that may be of interest regarding our stock suspension, read #1 from:
    http://opentrackerracing.com/faq/

Will PM you later........
    David

regarding my leaf springs, they where OEM on my 74 Comet, I had them de-arched and 2 extra leaves added, for total of 5 1/2..........

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Hi dyent and thanks for the info !

If koni isnt available in rear, I think ill use something else in front also. I think its better if both ends has the same manufacturer in shocks.

I want to have them adjustable because im not quite sure what I want them to be at the end.

Do you have any experienses about viking warrior shocks? They sell on eBay and has a full set for 74 maverick, with reasonable price. One thing about them though, I need to ask from Finnish authotorities that are they legal to use in Finland. (Yes, our laws sucks. Cant to about anything with cars).:slap:

6. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    I believe there was a recent write up or posting about QA-1 and Viking, either about their coil overs or shocks? Something about one of the engineers/designers from QA-1 going to Viking? Google both shocks and I am sure you will find alot of information so you can decide which shock would work for you. Obviously you will have to see if either shock would be allowed in Finland........good luck!
    David

7. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Case update; did some research and desided to order KYB shocks on every corner. Since Im not going to build a race car, I think that KYB shocks will do just fine. Just ordered them from Rockauto and it was cheap!
    Shocks ( all 4) were about $100 and shipping to Finland only $30 !!! :bananaman:

71gold likes this.
  8. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Which ones did you finally get, the KYB Gas a Just or Excel?
    David

9. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I've had a full set of KYB Excel's on my cruiser a few years; very satisfied w/ them.

10. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    They are Gas-a-just.

11. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    The Gas a Just are designed for those who like a little more performance in their shocks, the Excel's for those who like OEM type replacements............
    David

12. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Yeah, that is exactly what im looking for. On the other hand, its not a end of the world if they are too stiff with that price.

13. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    I have the gas adjust shocks in my maverick for three years now and love them. I have a set of Monroe in my other car and I much prefer the kyb.

14. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Glad to hear that! Cant hardly wait for the summer and testdrives...