Koyo Bearing Opinions?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by silver70, Mar 22, 2012.

1. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Bryant, you are probably right. Most manufacturers find any way they can to cut costs, including outsourcing. I haven't personally had bearing failures in the recent past with the Koyo bearings, but since I was a kid, my Dad always preached Timken was the way to go for a good bearing. I've had issues with some aftermarket stuff lately too but most of those issues were with China sourced(as stamped) bearings.

As I read, a lot of the bearings are still produced and engineered here in the USA at any number of plants both by Koyo and Timken.

more info:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-acquisition-of-timken-division-80706827.html

Explorer wheel bearings in a Ford box today were stamped as from this company:

http://www.fag.com/content.fag.de/en/index.jsp

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I took the time to read up on suggestions as to what bearings to buy for my 9 inch rebuild so I ordered all of my bearings from Moser Engineering.

They are all Timken :yup:

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Timken's had a factory not far from where I live since the 60's.
    At one time we had lots of bearing manufacturers in southern Ontario, FAG was in Stratford (The home town of Justin Beiber) :)

4. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I also remember, working on heavy equipment back in the 80's, that BCA being a really good bearing :)

5. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Well, I ran across a not-so-readily-available install kit from Motive Gear. Special part number for the Auburn posi bearings. Includes everything to do the install, inlcuding axle seals and bearings. Also, had the option to sub in Timken bearings (which I did) for just a couple bucks more than the base price. Whole thing cost $90 + shipping from Summit. Good deal, good bearings. I'm pretty happy.

Looks like the Koyo USA bearings are gonna be made in the Timken USA factories using Timken equipment and employees. At this point, either one seems to be a viable option.

So, from now on, if someone asks me what bearings I used, I'll tell them, "Timyo... a parent company of Token." :D

Thanks all, for the feedback and opinions. I learned some neat stuff.

Eric