lite relay upgrade done

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 71gold, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :D corbin, thanks for the info. if you would post it and all will know when they do the upgrade.i will swing by napa and check and see if they have any on the shelf..frank...:bananaman :bananaman

2. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Well, I got the ones I ordered from Napa, and I got the wrong ones shipped to me. They were too narrow to fit over the terminals on the headlights. Since I couldn't get any in time before New Years Day, I went to Ford, and they had some that I ended up using. They are little pig tails like the ones in the plugs you buy, but they had much bigger wire (around 14 - maybe a little bigger) These aren't specific for these plugs, so a little "massaging" needs to be done for them to clip in. The little tab on them is longer than the ones in the ready made plug, so you have to trim it a little to make it snap into the plastic housing. I know it sounds a little confusing, but once you do it yourself, you will know what I am talking about. They were a bit expensive at $2.10 a piece, but in the long run I think I'll be happier with these. On my reciept, it lists them as part number 101065 and the description simply says "Terminal." It is listed in Bin 40E, but that may be specific to the Parts Department here. I hope this helps - Napa may still have the right terminals, but I couldn't wait any longer for them. :) Let me know if you have any questions.
    -Corbin

P.S. Frank or Earl - do you remember which prongs are high, low, and ground- looking at the back of the headlight with the top terminal up and one the left and right. I would like to have the harnesses all made up before I put them in. See pic below if not sure what I mean... Thanks guys!

Excuse the drawing - artistically challenged here... :)

Attached Files:

3. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :( corbin, sorry to hear about the run around. what we did was put the wires the same as stock. looking at your pic. the red wire is on the top, the green wire is on the right and the black is on the left. we didn't use the black wire. when you pull your stock plug off test it to see if the high is red or green. then mark your relays. if this is not clear let me know and i will try to do better...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  4. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    earl, i got the pics. the box looks good.:cool: :cool: ...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

5. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    I was thumbing through a JC Whitney catalog the other day and saw where they have a halogen replacement kit for sealed beam. I think it was like $39.99 for the light housing - then you have to supply your own bulb. Any one have these or similar conversion?

Cleaver

6. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :rolleyes: corbin, did you get the box and relays in? pics....frank...:bananaman :bananaman

7. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Hey Frank! Yep I got them in! Finished a few hours ago. I'll post pics tomorrow, when it's light enough to get some good pics. It sure makes a difference - the lights are whiter, brighter, and getting more power - not to mention the difference the new H4 tri-bars I got for Christmas make - they look cool, too. :eek: I'll get some pics tomorrow. The upgrade was easy - the only part that was a pain was getting the bigger wire headlight terminals, but that's not necessary, just something I wanted to do. I did almost fall asleep wrapping the harness with tape, though... :D j/k - took a while, but it turned out good.

8. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Corbin; sorry I didn't respond earlier. My digital camera is a mess, and I did get it to work, just can't figure out how to put the pics up on this board. Glad we were able to help. The light mod is about the best thing we can do for these little cars, for safety. Also, put your fan motor on a relay. It runs the fan better, and no draw on the electrical system. Enough of my chatter! Have a good one!

Earl

9. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Hey Earl, I am thinking about doing the fan too. I have the diagram, so when I get some time I may do that too. :D
    -Corbin

10. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of the relay box - excuse the dirty engine compartment, but it is winter, and it is a daily driver....:rolleyes:
    -Corbin

All the voltage regulator wiring is bothering me, and I want a single wire alt as I have a feeling this one is going out soon.... Frank, any suggestions as to kind, voltage, etc? :)

Attached Files:

11. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of a headlight. They look pretty cool, IMO. I'll try some day to get a pic of the lights in the light of day.
    -Corbin

Attached Files:

12. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :eek: :eek: that's one wicked looking headlight. we need a nite pic. with the ons' on....frank...:bananaman :bananaman

13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    How about a picture of the whole car Corbin??

14. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Will do Craig, and Frank. Today it's not raining, so I think I'll bring it out and clean it up and post some pics.
    -Corbin

15. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    WOW!! I drove the car for the first time since the light upgrade in complete darkness... It is absolutely amazing the difference. I am not joking, on my car the lights are at least two times as bright. My old high beams were about as bright as my low beams now. It is amazing!:) If anyone is able to do this swap, I HIGHLY recommend it. The combination of Halogen tri-bar headlights (H4) and the wiring upgrade did wonders for my night driving experience. I love being able to see well at night now... :cool:
    -Corbin