Looking for Advise/ Opinions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Kelly Evans, Dec 9, 2003.

1. antjc600

antjc600 Member

Vehicle:
    Cometless
    I wouldn't recommend painting anything outside. Depending on where your at you can possibly get fined. Not to mention overspray has a way of finding its way onto everything. Had a buddy who painted a car in his driveway and ended up having to buff overspray off of 3 of his neighbors cars. They weren't to happy. The car didn't turn out great either. Bugs and dirt love wet paint lol. This was my first attempt at painting a whole car in a dirty garage. Total cost was around $350 for the paint. I think i used sherwin williams base/clear.

2. antjc600

antjc600 Member

Vehicle:
    Cometless
    the $350 included all the sandpaper to

3. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    About 11 years ago GM had a recall on some years for paint failure like that. I don't remember the years effected. It was not due to poor prep, it was due to over curing the primer and the paint would not stick very well. In some cases it would come off in sheets. I watched the Dealer use an air hose and razor blade to strip a whole car. He then had to scuff the primer with 400 paper. I was running a parts store and we sold the local Buick/GMC dealer lots of paint. Once we got wind of the recal I had my sales man get out to all the local GM dealers with body shops and sell them paint. Paint supplier said to dry primer at X temp for X minutes and the brain trust at GM said, raise the temp and shorten the dry time. They over cooked the primer. It was hard as a rock!

4. GPZ1100

GPZ1100 Professional Lurker

Vehicle:
    Kawasaki 700 Prairie, Gpz1100, & Concours C14
    found a local trade school teaches auto body. will fix and paint whatever for materials + 100 bucks. won't be concours but sure fits my budget.

5. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    That sound great for a repaint.

6. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Trade School

Had the local trade school paint one for me when I was a teenager but had a friend that was a student in the class and it came in and out in a timely manner and was done great. Asked around about the school now and if you bring it up and leave it they will paint it but several folks said that it took weeks and weeks and a couple said theres took almost 6 months to get back so since I did not have a friend in the class to call it his project I decided against it.

7. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    The truck looks great. I've seen quite a few '90s CK series trucks peeling, especially white ones. That tells me that there is, in fact, a problem with them...but try to get GM to do anything about it! Chrysler had a problem in the late '80s and early '90s with the clear coat separating on dark colors. I had that problem with a Grand Caravan I used to have.

I have to agree with the caution about painting outdoors. You're asking for problems with bugs, leaves and dirt. This I also know from experience. You'd be better off setting up some ventilation in your garage and doing it there. Sanding and prepping outside is good, but not painting.

There's nothing wrong with single stage painting. Basecoat/clearcoat lasts longer and so does urethane. Obviously, single stage is much cheaper and if taken care of, will last you. I'm doing the 4 door in single stage white. When I did the Stallion, I did it in basecoat/clearcoat. It cost, but this car is mostly for show as the 4 door is mostly for driving around.

I'm sure the Mav will look great when you're done with it.

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Only spend money on 2 stage if your painting metallics. You cannot sand metallic paint. Thats why you put a clear coat on it, Gives you something to sand and smooth out. For solid colors, I always use single stage. A whole lot less painting, cheaper, and it can be sanded and buffed just like a clear coat.