Lower Control Arms

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by x72COMETx, Apr 12, 2018.

1. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    Is Global West the only company that makes tubular lower control arms? I am looking to change out the stock style lca’s with something better

2. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
  3. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I still have the factory lowers, but I have been eyeballin' these https://www.pacificthunderperforman...wer-control-arms-one-pair?variant=17098764677

I have the lower control arm eccentric elimination kit on the car and these kids at the alignment shop can't seem to figure it out. Those would solve that problem and do away with the rubber bushing for increased castor with less binding.

Total control also makes tubular lowers for much more. http://opentrackerracing.com/ has rollerized and boxed lower arms, but they are not tubular in design.

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    You should search a little harder using early Mustangs as a cross reference.. because there are several besides the one listed above. Probably more out there nowadays.. but just off the top that I remember right now...

Total control products
    Global West
    Ridetech
    Control Freak
    Hotchkis
    RRS

My opinion is this. Pick based on the specific application and usage model.. NOT purely on price alone. Think about what happens when something breaks at speed.

So, as an example, and not to knock pacifics stuff in the least because I surely welcome market and pricepoint competition for some of the overpriced fatcats, you decide you want to run big wide stickier race tire sizes(let's say 255mm) on a 351W engined car on the autocross or roadcourse. Do you pick the thinnest and lightest design? Of course not. That design would be better suited towards a street/strip setup with more moderately sized less than race inspired tires.

5. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Hi Kyle:
    If you still have OEM type upper control arms, just changing your OEM style LCA for something better may or may not make a difference. In the big picture, are you looking at better handling??? Again, I have posted many times, I refer you to Opentracker's site, where it explains in great detail how OEM suspension was not bad, "The stock suspension isn’t a bad system and with just a few upgrades, it can be greatly improved." to make it handle more like a modern vehicle. Here is link to their FAQ, read the whole thread.........
    http://opentrackerracing.com/faq/
    When I first installed(4 years ago) their "rollerized" upper/lower control arms, spring perches along with Global West Adjustable strut rods I can tell you that my 73 Comet handles like a modern vehicle. Much more smoother, stable and precise, fun to drive. I think the biggest difference was the roller spring perches, eliminating a lot of the bind that rubber bushings have, which did not allow free movement.
    I know there are members out there who question whether or not roller spring perches work or their cost, unless you have first hand experience with them............. Again, it all comes down to what do you want your Comet to do?
    David

6. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    I’m pretty much just looking for a better handling ride, I currently have the spc tubular uca with Viking coilovers

7. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    So you already have some modern UCA's! I see SPC does not offer any LCA's for our vehicles. It would have been nice to keep "whole" set up from one manufacturer, rather than mis-match parts from different suppliers......That set up from PacificThunderPerformance seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck. They have been around for quite sometime and they have offered their products in the past to our members. Or you can go with Global West's LCA and adjustable struts, both PTP/GW have tubular designs if that is what you are looking at, nice thing is you can replace the ball joints on either system..........What have you done on the rear?
    David

you can click on the "information" under my profile to see what I have done on my 73

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    Unfortunate spc only offers an Lca for the mustang 2, I don’t really have anything to fancy on the rear, just an addco sway bar along with a new 4 leaf setup

9. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Been looking ahead towards my next projects and going through some of my suspension links lately and forgot to mention the "street or track" stuff too.