Maverick/Comet Factory Body/Assembly/Installation Manuals Finally Made Public

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by cactusgrabber, Nov 30, 2013.

1. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    It appears that the LONG LOST Ford Maverick, and Mercury Comet Factory Body/Assembly/Installation Manuals Collections, have finally been made Public, for ALL years of these cars. You have to go in person, to look at them for "research".

Apparently, after a "Donation of Materials" was made in 1992, this cataloging endeavor was started back in 2005, but the finding aid was not made Public until January of 2011.

I have been trying to track down info on this, for a long time, (and I know others have too) and I am happy to pass this information along to the Maverick/Comet community, who have been waiting over 20 years for this information, in order to unravel some of the mysteries, and restoration information, of these cars.

I envy the guys that live in Michigan, because I think this wealth of historical information, just adds to the enjoyment of these cars.

I'd like to see "Box 2", which has the 1972 Ford Maverick and Mercury Comet Collection.

They are located at the Benson Ford Research Center, in Dearborne, Michigan...home and birthplace of the Ford Maverick and Mercury Comet.
    http://www.thehenryford.org/research/index.aspx (* but the better links are further below)

Thank You Benson Ford Research Center!!! ..and thanks to whomever made the "Donation of these materials" that is mentioned.

[​IMG]

Can just anyone go look at these? : ...well....

...On their Frequently Asked Questions Page:

"Q: Can I do Research for free?
    A: The Benson Ford Research Center is open free of charge to the general public.
    Staff is always available to assist you in finding materials appropriate for your needs. It is not required, but we encourage you to make an appointment before coming in so that we can have material prepared for you."

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/faq.aspx

Here is their .PDF File, that helps locate the box and accession stack in their library, for the Ford Maverick/Comet Assembly Operations Manuals Collection:
    *(These files give alot more information about the wealth of information in these Collections, than just the location of them):

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/henryford/docs/AssemblyOperationsManualsCollection_Accession1766.pdf

Here is their .PDF File, that helps locate the box and accession stack in their library, for the Ford Maverick/Comet Assembly Installation Manuals Collection:

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/henryford/docs/InstallationManualsCollection_Accession1149.pdf

*** It also says that they have this information for almost all of their car lines, beyond Mavericks and Comets...
    ...so this is also good news for our fellow Ford Auto enthusiasts, of the other Ford car and truck lines, like Mustangs, Torinos, Cougars, Thunderbirds, Pintos, etc, etc.

*The Installation Manuals Collection alone, takes up a whopping 34 cubic feet of space by itself.

(*they also have alot more info in their archive search)

(excerpts) :

"The Installation Manuals collection is an intentionally assembled collection of technical manuals describing installation and repair procedures for various major assemblies on Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and trucks. The Installation Manuals collection, 1951-1978 (34 cubic ft.), is made up of 3 series. The Body and Chassis Manuals series, 1952-1978 (7 cubic ft.), consists of detailed assembly, sub-assembly, and complete body installation manuals and guides covering major body and chassis elements in Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles.

During model change and new product launches, the Assembly Engineering Department, Body and Assembly Operations at Ford Motor Company published Here's How booklets and manuals describing new production processes and model change information. The booklets and manuals covered chassis, body, trim, electrical, and paint change details for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars and trucks. The booklets and manuals were also used by plant production and purchasing staff to determine tooling needs and parts and supplies purchases. The manuals preceded detailed process sheets that were published and distributed to plant management when production for the new model year began.

The Assembly Engineering Manuals collection consists of two series. The Trucks series, 1961-1987 (1 cubic ft.), includes manuals and booklets covering new model tooling, pre-assembly instructions, and new model identification materials. Truck products include the Econoline, Bronco, Bronco II, F-Series, Heavy truck, Light truck, and Ranger models. The Automobiles series, 1959-1988 (6 cubic ft.), includes manuals and booklets covering new model tooling, pre-assembly instructions, new model identification materials. Models include the Bobcat, Comet, Cougar, Fairlane, Falcon, Ford, Lincoln, Mark III, Mark IV, Mark VII, Maverick, Mercury, Meteor, Montego, Mustang, Pinto, Thunderbird, and Torino"

---

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Rasit

Rasit Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Wow, Somebody has been doing their homework!!

3. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    That's awesome!!

I see a couple of interesting "teasers", although they're probably 'nothing':
    • 1972-1/2 Pinto
    • 1971-1972 Pinto (Special Maverick)
    • 1975 Maverick X-Comet X
    It says they do offer photocopying services.

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    The Pinto was developed under the name " special maverick" I have some books with that in them.

5. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    What about the Maverick X and Comet X?

6. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    It will be interesting to see what those are.

Possibly it was the 1976 Ford Maverick Grabber II concept car? ...but we'll see.

(This picture from the Ford Archives has been posted before)

* Look at the Grabber Stripes, rear quarter window louvers, and Front and Rear Spoilers, and Mud Flaps/Flairs.

And it has the Blacked out Wipers, like the Stallion ended up having.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  7. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    Thanks Roger for reposting that pic, I had forgot about that one, if I had a big bumper car and it could look that good, I would love it, I don't mind the big bumpers when there is other things about the car that make you almost not even notice the park benches lol, that car has those other things!

8. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    so... should someone get in touch with forel publishing and ask whether they are interested in publishing them on cd?

9. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    Good point Tody...and you usually make good points for how little you post. :) (I always read every post I see by you)

Forel Publishing's Website says:
    "Forel Publishing, LLC is also the only company that Ford allows to sell their manuals in a digital download format"

It would be nice if Forel could do this....but who knows if there are stricter copyright rules, than there used to be...the Mustang guys have had some of these manuals for years, while the Maverick/Comet community have been waiting for a long time. The Mavericks and Comets deserve this for Posterity, and for additional information to help enthusiasts know, and restore their cars, in my opinion.

-----------

(added rambling :D)

Besides...I believe that the Ford Motor Company Employees of that era, designed and produced some of the most creative Automobiles in history. They didn't have the limitations we have today. Could you imagine a Rim Blow Steering Wheel (which I think are an amazing look and design) being put in a car today, with our modern safety standards? It would look hideous!... with an ugly ballooned out center pad, that has to contain an Airbag! The cars back then weren't as safe as the cars today...but they sure looked awesome!

The same goes for Volkswagens and BMW's....I really like both of the designs of these cars, created in Germany, and I own not only my Ford Maverick, and Expedition, but also a Black BMW X5. Love the designs...and they deserve to be preserved, and restored, with Factory information, if that's your preference.

Believe me...I really like Mustangs...and the Mustang Community...but I personally believe that Maverick's and Comets are harder to restore than Mustangs.

Just look at how much "STUFF" is out there for Mustangs...and good for them...Mustangs are great. The body shop that painted my Rim Blow Steering Wheel asked me: "why are you restoring a Maverick...instead of a Mustang?" I replied: "Because Mustangs are easy...Mavericks and Comets are harder to restore."

And to all the Mustang guys out there....no disrespect meant... I love Mustangs....and that's why I have squeezed in any Mustang info that I can, for the Mustang guys that read this forum....like when I posted Factory Detroit Body Book information, with pictures, in my project thread, that showed not only the Factory Maverick/Comet fabric swatches, but also the Mustang ones.

I know the Mustang community respects this forum by Stefan, and they use it for information, just like we use the Mustang forums for information.

10. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I found this interesting...

Box 6
    Mustang
    Pinto
    Thunderbird-Mark IV
    Torino-Montego-Cougar
    1976 Torino-Montego
    1977 Pinto-Bobcat Special
    1978 Maverick-Comet
    1979 Ford-Mercury
    Lincoln Mark
    Mustang-Capri

11. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    That is interesting Tom...maybe the Collection includes Engineering Data on the Manufacturing of the cars in Brazil, which extended past 1977. There has to be Engineering information on the Maverick Station Wagons somewhere.

12. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Ford didn't build the wagons, it was a dealer that did.

13. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    Wow...good to know. I did not know that. Thanks for pointing that out Dave :)

For those of you that are new...look at Dave's "join date" and the number of posts he has...that should tell you alot about what this favorite Canadian knows. :)

14. Lzoesch

Lzoesch Levi Zoesch

Vehicle:
    1969 Maverick & 1972 Chevy El Camino SS
    So, do we have access to the prints? Can we pitch in to get a .pdf of stuff? Can someone go to this location and get copies, and give out to the community?

15. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I doubt you can distribute it, it's still "owned" by Ford.....
    Or read this, at the bottom of the page:
    http://www.thehenryford.org/pdf/bfrc_cameraUsePolicy2012.pdf