Maverick Manual Steering

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by plod52, Feb 4, 2024.

1. plod52

plod52 Member

Vehicle:
    Gidday Guys, I'm a new member from down under in Auckland ,New Zealand..
    I bought a 1970 2 door Maverick 15 years ago and have been working through it..car is originally Canadian so had to deal with quite a bit of body rust, been a marathon but making progress now.
    I wanted to get bigger tyres under the rear but didnt want to pump out the guards so had some new computer folded chassis rails made and have removed original rails and the new ones welded in..can fit 12inch wide wheels and tyres now ..probably a bit over the top but this will be the last car I build in my lifetime( 72 soon)
    Rear has been tubbed new boot floor, fuel tank in the same place..narrowed 9 inch with 3.9 gears, Detroit Locker, disc brake kit and about to order Dutchman axles.
    Drive shaft tunnel been massaged to fit 4 speed top loader, McCloud Scatter shield and twin plate Magnum clutch lifted using a Tilton Centre release bearing.
    Engine already built .Scat 408 forged stroker kit, in standard Cleveland block, Trickflow heads and inlet manifold, plus a "shed" load of other stuff..will only need to rev it to 6000 if my "Nads"are big enough..figured the standard block would be good enough.

Thanks for reading my ramblings..now is when I need help from you Maverick Gurus!!
    Quite happy to delete the power assisted steering and use the existing steering box, buy a manual track rod from Auto Krafters..the issue I have is I need to get a Manual Pitman arm Part number D0DZ-3590-A…do I need to get one of these? or will the pitman arm I have on my power steering box work and mate up with the
    manual pitman arm….really need a bit of guidance on this..a big thanks to those that can help in advance.

Cheers
    Rod

Shorty likes this.
  2. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Sounds like a great car, and good to meet you. Yeah, the steering linkages are substantially different between manual and power steering cars.

3. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    I would suggest going with 75-77 Manual Center Link/Pitman Arm and Idler Arm set up, as Auto Krafters will have all those in stock. Looking for D0DZ-3590-A Manual Pitman Arm to use with 74 and earlier center links is next to impossible to find.
    David

Center Link.jpg

4. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Greetings Rod, I installed a control valve eliminator to switch to manual steering on my `72 Comet. That and a wheel alignment was all I needed.

CONTROL VALVE ELIMINATOR 1966-70 FORD FAIRLANE 1966-67 FALCON 1967-70 MUSTANG & MORE POWER-TO-MANUAL STEERING (RP27483) (autokrafters.com)

Why do you want to convert? I did it to eliminate the power steering drag on my engine to improve my 1/4 mile ET, otherwise I wouldn't have made the change. I might convert back some day. Turning the wheel while the car is sitting can be difficult especially with wide tires. Otherwise, it is quite easy to steer.

Good luck with your project.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    The early factory manual steering pitman arm (1970-1974) is impossible to find. One can purchase the later (1975-1977) manual steering pitman arm new. One can also purchase the 1975-1977 manual steering center link new.

To go with a factory manual steering set-up, the power steering pitman arm will not work.

As far as a manual steering adaptor that threads onto the power steering center link, after one removes the control valve...I am not sure what pitman arm is used but I suspect it is the power steering pitman arm.

6. plod52

plod52 Member

Vehicle:
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks heaps for your replies and info.
    I decided to go down the route of using the 1975-1977 route and spent hours yesterday trying to get the bits from 1 supplier ended up with Rare Parts..I placed the order then wake up this morning too a "Dear John " email saying that the Pitman arm RP 20130 is obsolete on their available parts..
    Can you guys suggest where I could try please..there may be suppliers you know of in the States that don't come up on Google Search..
    Thanks in advance "Team"

7. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  8. plod52

plod52 Member

Vehicle:
    Hi David,
    I did try Autocrafters and they were out of stock..so paid a premium for the centre link, idler arm and 2
    outer tie rod ends from Rare Parts , but hey Sh_t happens.. just needed them.
    On another note your a legend ( I aint blowing smoke!!) thanks heaps for your info, I'm ordering pitman arm right now!! just about to hunt for the 2 inner tie rod ends..will need to get those to suit the 75-77 centre link I'm figuring?..off to eBay to
    see what I can find..looks like they are the same for both sides?
    Just reading about your car..similar recipe to what I am building..keen to see a photo if you get a chance to post

9. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Rod:
    75-77 Inner Tie Rods p/n: ES436L
    Thank you for your kind words, this is what makes this forum so great, members helping other members with their project(s). Passing on their knowledge of what they learned with their Mav/Comet, so that others will benefit!
    I am slowly getting my Comet back together, sometimes life throws a curve ball at you! Take care!
    David

Tie Rod.jpg

mojo likes this.
  10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have a brand new 1975-1977 manual steering pitman arm if needed. Email me DIRECTLY (see below) if I can help.

11. plod52

plod52 Member

Vehicle:
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the offer of the Pitman arm..I did manage to order one through Rock Autos and its not too far away now.
    This forum is invaluable..been so useful
    cheers
    Rod

Craig Selvey likes this.
  12. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Too bad I missed this, I have an early manual pitman arm that is in great condition. International shipping is totally......foreign......:rofl2: to me but it can't be too hard to do.

13. plod52

plod52 Member

Vehicle:
    Hi David
    Hi David,
    I was sure I replied to you post but don't see it..Info you've passed on is damn helpful..based on the

14. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Rod:
    You replied in PM section, so would be in your "Inbox"
    David