Maverick Memories

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Powerband, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    I get a kick out of the un-anticipated and un-provoked comments I get when I drive my 74 Maverick. It seems many people have distinct memories if not fond memories of their time with their Maverick. Yesterday I drove to a huge 1000+ car show in downtown Beacon NY and believe it was the only Maverick in town.

On the way while pumping gas, a woman at next pump, asked what year my Maverick is?.. Smiling, she said she had a 1971 2 door . She distinctly remembered that when she went to switch to the High-Beams, the floor switch went right through the rusty floor ending her Maverick era. As I got out of the Maverick at the show, another person asked "... is that a Chevy?", a common question often asked "is that a Firebird - Mustang - Camaro -Charger? "etc... . Another person checking out the Maverick volunteered that their family's Maverick 4 door never would start or run when it rained (?). And my sister reminds me she had the same color Mav' (gold/bronze) as my current Maverick but I have absolutely no recollection of it, that's how memorable Mavericks' are to some people... .

Have fun

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I dont think I have ever been to a car show and been ignored, there is always someone that comes up to me and tells me a story about their parents or grandparents or them having one. It is a little different with the Stallion due to the paint job and people ask who did the the paint job and then I tell them it came from the factory that way and then they are amazed .

My wife hates to follow me any place because people are always gawking at the car and tend to drift into her lane. Its fun when you meet another Maverick out on the road somewhere and both drivers are checking out the others car. After making several trips to the east I have only seen 4 other Mavericks or Comets on the road and never been able to talk with the owners. Gas stations and rest areas are always an adventure because someone always has to look or take a picture or wants to buy the car. Good times

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Yeah I usually hear what year is your Maverick?

Has a large Comet GT on stripe & 1972 license plates, still most are clueless.

baller10pg, CaptainComet and mojo like this.
  4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Krazy,
    That is the exact origin of my license plate ...

No slam on Mavs. I just got tired of telling people to check out the fender emblem and to get back to me. lol.

"Not starting in the rain" .... those folks needed some spark plug wires. My first car, a 65 Mustang, did that, and it could stop running while on the road at speed. It is very humid here and the spark plug wires were 12 years old at the time. Very freaky and exciting until we got it fixed. I got used to putting it in neutral, pop the gas, and hit the starter, all while doing 50 mph.

Krazy Comet and Hotrock like this.
  5. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    I been on many car shows and no mavericks on those shows I'm waiting for my time to show my maverick when I done working on the car and show it very proud to still own a maverick

Attached Files:

6. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    At a car show I had a woman tell me that she had a Maverick once that was the same color as mine but her car was shorter than mine. I asked her if it was a Pinto and she replied no, it was a Maverick but it was just shorter. She was looking at the tail lights of the car.

Bruce