mini spool final decision

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Todd, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    If you have a spool... power goes to both tires at all times, not one or the other :)

2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Correct, BUT, if you go around a corner, the inside tire is going to ACT like it is pushing faster than the outside tire, therefore, the INSIDE tire is doing ALL the PUSHING...The outside tire is actually dragging a little.

The outside tire is chirping trying to keep up with the inside (actually skipping, and losing traction intermittently), therefore having a little more tendency to spin out in the direction toward the outside tire.

I recognize the actual physics are not being discussed here, but this is the way it acts in reality, and on the road.

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I am with your Dad's friend.
    Lots of folks throw them in and love to talk them up to others. Maybe to convince themselves they did the cool thing.
    However, they are dangerous on the street and tend to tear things up sooner or later.
    You can tell yourself all you want that you can be respectful of the spool, but when you lose control and kill someone, I hope it isn't my family.
    In all honesty, if that was to happen, and I found out the guy was running a spool when he hit my family, he would get some 'lead poisoning' if I caught up with him.
    It just isn't worth it.
    Get a limited slip or locker if you run on the street.
    Leave the spools to the track!

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I will admit ahead of time...I have had a few masculine drinks (rum and cokes)...

I really am getting tired of hearing about how "irresponsible" it is to have a spool in your car.

We, as "muscle car" owners need to recognize, and take responsibility for, the fact that we own cars that are very powerful potential "weapons". The spool is not going to kill anyone. The fool behind the pedal just might!

Put in an open differential, and add a 500 HP motor, and you have the same thing...some idiot who is going to stomp the pedal and kill somebody (hopefully, just himself and a telephone pole).

In a way, I agree 100% with Ratio411 and all the other anti-spool guys. They "can" be dangerous, if you don't know how to use them. So can a BB gun, so can a hammer, so can a can-opener...

I am pretty sure I mentioned that a spool requires some practice to get used to. Just like if you bought a 2006 Corvette...I would not give my 16 year-old one of those and expect him to come home alive.

You need to know your equipment, and be safe with it, regardless if it is a gun, knife, screwdriver, or car.

Just be smart, and careful, and don't do anything stupid under any circumstances.

My final point is, a spool is a cheap and effective way to get good traction, just don't misuse or abuse it...same with 500 HP, or any other efficient tool.

Sorry to offend, if I did.

In the words of Bill and Ted...Be cool to each other :Handshake

More importantly, just take it easy and be SAFE (y)

5. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    And my mini-spool has killed less people than Ted Kennedy's cars.

Did I say that out loud?????? :D

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    :rofl2:

7. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I ranted a little that last time... :drink:

Now that I am sober, I still stand by what I said.