More "originality" work under the hood ...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Yep....that's it Dan. Any yes....it looks like the Maverick one.

2. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    "Is your "caution fan" sticker in the right place? My '73 4 door and '74 Grabber both have the factory ones still and they are both in front of the radiator on the radiator support, towards the passenger side. You can see it in this pic: They were both 6 cyl. cars though"

As fas as I know, "CAUTION FAN" stickers were not applied until mid 1972, when Ford was involved in a fan blade recall on the 1972 Torinos (I had one). From that time, all cars received the stickers and all new replacement stock fan shrouds had stickers added to them as well.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg

Thanks for the info ... I just did some Googling and found similar information agreeing with the Caution Stickers not being on any car until something later in the 70's .... Also ... the two factory pictures I posted of both a 1970 and 1971 engine compartment show that CAUTION FAN stickers were not applied from the factory.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    My unrestored 74 has 2 "caution fan" stickers. One on the radiator support and one on the shroud. I truly believe they have been there the whole time too.

5. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    When I got my 74 ... it was 100% original ... it had the Caution sticker on the fan shroud ...

Here is some info from the restoration site I got the "OK" template from for my stamp ... The have lots of picturs of a 1971 Ford engine ....

Did the 429 Mustang come from the factory with an orange "Caution Fan" sticker on the fan shroud? The aftermarket certainly has sold a lot of these stickers and many people have added them, but is it right? The picture at above left is of a 429 SCJ engine compartment taken in 1973 which does indeed show a "Caution Fan" sticker. However, we also have the photo above right of an original, unrestored, 22,000 mile SCJ engine compartment which does not have the "Caution Fan" sticker. One theory we have bandied about is that when Ford had problems with flex fan blades breaking off in the 70's that perhaps they instructed dealers to install these stickers. Bottom line: Don't know.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/engine_compartment_detailing.htm

And here is my 74 when I bought it and the remains of the CAUTION FAN decal... I doubt the 88 year old original owner put it on there ...

[​IMG]

As per the pictures of the 70 and 71 engine compartment ... I will be removing the CAUTION FAN sticker from my 71 but will be leaving it on my 74 ....

6. dmhines

Vehicle:

Ray ... does your LDO have air conditioning. If you look at my 74 with the rubber strip on the radiator support there is no place to put a CAUTION FAN decal except on the fan shroud ... unless you put it all the way to the side which it no wheres near the fan.

7. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    That's exactly where it is, all the way to the drivers side. It looks goofy there but I've seen another one in the same exact place.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  8. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Caution Fan

Dan-
    My 'Caution Fan' sticker was partially covered under the rubber strip on top
    of the radiator support-just like Ray's car. It was positioned so that the hood prop rod was between the 't' and 'n' in 'Caution'. I have nearly 10 engine pics of the sticker in the same place that I have downloaded from the internet. I also have many pics with the sticker on the fan shroud. Some have A/C and some not-both locations. I can't see any relation to year built. Perhaps it varied in general, or possibly by build plants. :hmmm:

Seth

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  9. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Also....

...I started tearing mine apart for detailing tonight. I don't see how I can make the original hold down work as long as I am using the Optima Gel Cell.
    It is much shorter. I could put a spacer under the battery I suppose.

Dan, do me a favor. Your Group 24 Autolite battery, give me the measurements on it-height, width, length and the measurements from post to post-center to center. I am wondering if those covers will go over the Optima.

Thanks,

Seth

10. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Is an Autolite Battery correct for your car? Just wondering ....

[​IMG]

11. dmhines

Vehicle:
    FYI .... Ford also put an engine code decal on all engines to identify them and ensure the engine type matched the build sheet on the car - they were affixed to the valve cover. I found OSBORNE reproductions has them ... just ordered one for a 1970 Maverick 302 with M/T .... since 302's came out in 1971 ... not 1970 ... I am assuming it is listed incorrectly.

[​IMG]

When I get it I'll have to move the OK down further below the decal ... like this BOSS 302 ...

[​IMG]

12. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Don't know....

...I don't have a clue about the Autolite battery being correct for mine.
    It would look good though! :yup:

I really don't know. I'll have to look into it. I like the maintenance free
    gel cell-no leaks or corrosion at all.

Thanks for the measurements, very much!

Seth

13. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    I just thought id let you know that I am in love with your engine compartment. And, im not gonna lie, theres something about spark plugs being organized that makes me happy! hahahahaha:p :tiphat: :clap:

14. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Seems like an awful lot of work, considering that when all's said & done, it's anything BUT "original". Personally, I find original to be boring anyway. The only point to it would be for investment purposes, which would not apply in this particular case.

To each his own though. Dan's is one of the nicest Mavericks I have ever seen in my life...:cool:

15. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Thanks TL ...

With so many nice modded Mavericks out there ... One of the easiest ways to be different is to make it original ..... :)