Mustang Bench seat

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by mn67, Jun 15, 2017.

1. mn67

mn67 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Anyone ever try to put a Mustang bench seat in a Maverick? Seems like it might fit not sure if it would look right though.

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I suspect that it would work. Maverick floors outboard are a bit higher that inboard, close to the trans tunnel. If the bench is too close to the tunnel, riser blocks could be used under the tracks.

Ford tended to use the very same bolt pattern for bucket seats for 25+ years. I don't know about the distance between the bolts (both front-to-back, likely, AND side-to-side, the big question) in the bench seat frame for sure, but they are probably the same between Mav and Mustang. Something to verify. If they are identical, Mav bench seat tracks would likely work. If side-to-side was off, you would have to drill new holes in the floor.

Those Mustang benchs are not common. Do you have a line on one already? I believe they were only 65-68 and they are similar to those low back seats. Matching to the rear seat upholstery would be a challenge. Maverick rear bench seats tend to be a lot taller/flatter in the lower cushion area. Mustang rear seat lower cushions tend to be closer to the floor.

3. skipsgrabber

skipsgrabber Should've had wrenches instead of hands

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    What he said... I missed the chance to get a 66 some years ago that was bench seat column shift,for $650... Was a factory installation,looked like a falcon column with a mustang horn button... Pretty sure the car would have been worth keeping,just for the uniqueness of an early mustang with bench and column... Someone beat me to it,was gonna fix it up for my girls to drive... But I digress...

mn67 likes this.
  4. mn67

mn67 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick

Yes I have a line on one. A friend has one in his hoard he will not be using. Came out of a 66 fastback.

5. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    I've never seen a bench seat in a Mustang.

6. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I have only seen one bench seat Mustang, if I remember correctly it was a 65 drop top maybe a 66. I would imagine a bench seat for a Mustang would be worth some bucks to Mustang purest

7. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I have a 67 Mustang convertible with a bench seat with fold down armrest. Orginal 289 225 horsepower. 3 speed (now 4 speed). 81,000 actual miles. Owned since 1971.

8. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

Yup, bench seat option in a Mustang through 1969.