Mustang Steve clutch roller bearing...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by MNTony, May 26, 2008.

1. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    I spent the day putting in my Mustang Steve clutch pedal roller bearing kit. Attached are the pics...it's pretty neat actually. I really didn't need to use it as my bushings were in pretty good shape, but since I'm planning on racing the Maverick I want everything related to the clutch linkage to be on bearings or heims.

Attached Files:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I plan on doing the same thing. If your planning on sticking with all mechanical linkage, you can get a kit with small rods with heim ends for the 2 rods. I forget where I got them but I will try to find my receipt. I also found some spherical bearings to use in the ends of the Z bar. Again, I will find my receipts and post the information a little later.

3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I have the same kit from Scott Drake, was planning on installing it next week 'cause I have to replace the master cylinder and heater core anyhow.

4. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    The hardest part was getting the dang support out in order to weld it. The rest was simple and worked perfect!

5. mavron 70

mavron 70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick 5.0 t 5 trans 59 ford rear with 4.11 cogs
    looks good! If you use a diaphragm pressure plate be sure to remove the over center spring....

6. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    I've got a McLeod dual disk with a long/borg & beck style pressure plate.:thumbs2:

Oh and I should have mentioned that I left off the one thin washer on the outside. Those of you doing this need to know that there is a slight difference between my 72 and the older Mustangs. (See the second picture in my first post.) The Mustangs use a cotter style pin to hold the shaft in, but mine uses a clip and as such does not need the outside washer as this clip does that job and there isn't enough room in there for the washer. Just a tip in case it starts to drive you crazy.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Years ago the clip on the end of my pedal shaft broke and left me stranded. After that I drilled a hole through the end of the shaft and use a large hitch pin that I can grab by the loop and just pull out.

8. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    The spherical bearings I bought have 1"od and 1/2" id. I picked them up last year from Motion Industries for less than $9 each.

Attached Files:

9. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I did the same project a couple weeks ago. Same issue with the outside washer and clip vs the cotter pin. Its amazing how much more solid the pedals feel now. It was a worthwhile upgrade. Still dont have my underdash put back together though. What a mess.

10. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    Note on that last washer that you guys are leaving out... I was able to install the clip with the washer, it's there so the clip doesn't rub the outer race of the bearing reducing its effectiveness/posibly causing the clip to come off... it took abit of effort but I was able to get it all togeather... although it's to bad I don't have the transmission in yet to enjoy all the effort I put into that pedal support... ironic...

11. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Why do you need to remove the spring for the diaphragm pressure plate?

12. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Dont know why you would remove it. Maybe he thinks the pedal pressure will be so light that it may hold the pedal to the floor once it goes beyond the center point. I dont think it would. I'm running a diaphragm pressure plate in my Sprint with the over center spring and although it is smoother and easier, it in no way begins to hangs up.

13. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Some people say the pedal doesn't come all the way up. I didn't use the spring when I did a t5 swap on my Maverick because it's a diaphragm pressure plate and the pedal isn't that heavy. I have the spring on my '60 Falcon with a Hays 3 finger pressure plate and it is stiff. My '63 Falcon has the spring with diaphragm plate and you can push the pedal down with your hand.

14. Jay Johnson

Jay Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Get this..... I was in the process of ordering the 2 bearings from motion industries, $20 each, i was willing to pay that with no issue...... looked at the invoice for shipping, $65.15!!!! you would think i am living on the moon or something........ does anyone know where i an find these bearings with out paying an arm and leg for them????

15. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I just noticed how old this thread is, not sure how it happened but when I found it, it was in a list of new posts yet the one above mine is from 2009.:slap: