My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Didn't get much done today, I made a little adjustment to one header tube because it was a little tight going into the collector(must have pulled a little when welding)..... Then I did some much needed cleaning of the shop and replace a cracked t in my pvc air line along the wall..... Finally I started to work on the car but didn't have much motivation, all I got done was trimme the factory radiator mounting tabs off the core support(I am using a cross flow radiator and they were in the way.....

Here's the before and after on the radiator mounting tabs, that's about all that was worth taking pic's of.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    Looking awesome Frank.

Great work, and that is a great picture you took through the window of the radiator support.

3. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks.....

Worked on a lower radiator mount this morning for a little while..... Msde it so it follows the steps in the lower core support.....

Here's what I got done so far(still need to add the stops for the radiator and weld it in the car.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the radiator sitting in place.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    now that's one radiator... nice work!

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Are those v-flanges stainless? If they are we stock them at work. They are sanitary fittings and we sell them to wineries! What material are the gaskets?

6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I am not positive what material they are, I ordered mild steel but they appear to be stainless..... They are magnetic, I am guessing some grade of stainless with a high nickel content..... They use no gaskets but do have an interlocking groove to aid in alignment.....

7. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Stainless has to have carbon in it to be magnetic and then it will oxidize (rust) unless it is taken care of. There is a steel with high nickel concentration - Nialloy is one brand-name. It is a soft but resiliant allow of high elasticity. it welds nice too.

8. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    All steels, including stainless steels, have carbon in them otherwise they would not be steels they would be Iron...

Most forms of stainless steels are ferromagnetic. It is the high nickel content that removes the magnetic ablilities. Take for instance the aircraft industry uses several forms of stainless steel in their flight actuation components. 15-5 PH is very commonly uses stainless steel, we make hydraulic, pneudraulic and pneumatic pistons all out of 15-5 it can also be easily magnetized. It is used because it does not rust, it is stronger then standard steels and it has better wear resistance then standard steels, but like all forms of stainless steel it will corrode.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Made the rest of the lower radiator mount this morning, then went by work and bent up a top mount for it..... This week I also got the headers coated and bent the 13 gauge shock tower plates.....

Here's the lower rad mount, and then the radiator sitting in place.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's a pic of the bent shock tower plates, I still need to trim the shock tower some to fit them.....

[​IMG]

10. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Mark,
    The chromium content is what makes it stainless - not nickel.
    The most popular magnetic stainless is the 400 series stainless (440) used most often to make knives and surgical tools. The 200 and 300 series stainless steel alloys are not magnetic at all. The 15-5 is a 15500 series stainless that has 15% chromium and 4% nickel with .07% iron. It has the same resistance to corrosion as 330 steel (18% chromium .08% iron) but can be heated and cooled rapidly to harden where 330 can only be work hardened. I know that the 400 series is magnetic as it contains up to .2% iron but I have no experience with the 15000 series stainless - I do know 15-5 has a lower iron content than 330 but it also has copper and tin which may affect it's ability to become magnetic. Aerospace alloys are too expensive for a poor guy like me to play with.
    Paul

11. Recrdholdr

Recrdholdr National Record Holder

Vehicle:
    I want a 70-73 Maverick
    Thats a pretty good bender to bend steel that thick.

12. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Yes it is..... It's an old massive cast iron manual break, it actually will bend an 8ft long piece..... It was no problem to bent those pieces at all.....

13. Recrdholdr

Recrdholdr National Record Holder

Vehicle:
    I want a 70-73 Maverick

They Don't build'em like they used to.

14. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Worked on fitting the driverside tower plate this morning..... Then marked the plate where it needs to be trimmed and went over to work and cut it on the bandsaw..... Tomorrow morning I will fit it and tack it in place so I can double check the header clearance.....

Here's what happened today.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Your right I was thinking chromium but typed nickel:rofl2: I have been at work too many hours trying to fix our many current problems... We are having problems with our HVOF had a bad tungsten carbide cobalt powder.. has too much nickel content in it and is causing porosity in our coatings, and showing tear outs when we grind the material....

As for the 15-5ph stainless it acts just like free machining stainless just not as gummy as some of the other forms of it. We use allot of 440c and 304 for slides and sleves(think about automatic tranny slides) here but they all have to go through our nitrogen oven to prevent hydrogen embrittlement. Embrittlement is a concern with all of the 300 and 400 series stainless when heated.