My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Normally the 302 pushes hot water from the fron to the intake through the heater and then back into the water pump where it is recirculated through the engine without going through the radiator.
    I have always run the coolant that way as it allows maximum cooling through the heads. I do make sure that the hose to the water pump is the upper hose on the heater core to help limit air lock.
    Paul

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    This is yet another reason why I love this site (besides the friendship and common interests)... I am always learning new stuff. :thumbs2:

I am still trying to make sense of why an alternate routing would be a benefit, and possibly how to best exploit it.

In the first place, there is not a lot of emphasis placed on heaters here in Florida (Frank is a stone's throw away from me). There might be two months that I actually might turn mine on here, maybe, and that might only be first thing in the morning. The other 10 months out of the year, that heater is not in use. The control valve should have the flow shut off, right? So... either location, no benefit.

I also wonder how much of the total water volume is actually going through the heater.... 25% maybe? ... from either front or rear. I am guessing this going off the ID of the heater hose vs. the size of both water ports. Still would mean that the bulk of the coolant stays in the engine.

I can see if you tap into the rear of the manifold, and the pump keeps returning that flow back to the bottom of the motor, that it would consistantly keep the lower end of the motor much cooler, but that is assuming that the heater core has somewhere to displace the heat and coolant is flowing through it.

So ... don't run a control valve and vent the heater through the cowl?

Still, I can see where most of the heat is the upper cylinder and the heads... combustion. The lower part of the engine is mostly frictional heat.

Maybe tapping the back of manifold is actually a good way to avoid getting trapped air out of a motor that is retaining it for an odd reason. If you look at most manifolds, the carb flange is on an angle, and the motor is designed to be placed in the chassis nose-up by a few degrees, which should make the upper radiator hose the highest point for coolant in the motor. If the motor is in car level, or worse, nose-down, especially in a car with a raked stance, you might have air stuck at the back of the heads. Tapping the back passages would give that somewhere to go.

3. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
  4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
  5. ebmav

ebmav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 mav
    very very nice work

6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks.....

Well I didn't get much done today, I took the carb, intake, heads and headers off the mock up motor..... Plus I had to clean those parts up and get them put away in boxes atleast for now.....

Then I went to 4 junk yards, boy what a waste of time that was..... In 4 yards I seen 1 68 Ford, other then that I don't think I seen anthing else older then 80 in the Ford sections.....

No reason to take any pic's today.....

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Frank,
    What kind of stuff are you hunting for?

8. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    The main things are an early rear seat and a small front bumper at the moment..... The seat doesn't need to be in great condition just good enough to be reapulstered, and I just want a straight paintable front bumper..... I am sure there will be other small things as I go but I have all the sheet metal covered.....

Oh yeah 1 more thing, I need an early under dash package tray for a non a/c car in good shape.....

9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I was cleaning up and orginizing and began to realize I have alot of parts and pieces at both the house and shop..... So in order to condense some of the small parts and packages I decided to assemble whatever is possible..... So today I cleaned up and painted the carrier for the 9" rear and started assembling the chunk..... Got the pinion support assembled and put the ring gear on the locker, the carrier needed to finish drying before I can get the gear set up(the assembly consist of a Strange radial rid carrier, Strange aluminum Daytona pinion support, Strange bearing kit, Detroit locker and Gleason light weight REM finish 3.89 gearset).....

Here is what I have together on the carrier so far.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    That's a lot of "Strange" stuff you got there :cry:

11. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Very Nice! as usual!

12. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I have an extra tray, I don't know what there worth so you can make me an offer.... How can you tell its early ?

13. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks.....

Not much progress, just finished assembling the rear end center section this morning..... Then on to some more cleaning of the shop, whoopie.....

14. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    No progress this weekend due to making a trip to Macon, GA Saturday to pick up another Maverick(this is the one Mike/M.A.V. on this site had for sale)..... This car has a couple things I need and some other things that are in a little better shape the what I already have..... This is a 6cyl car that runs but the trans would not go into gear..... I checked out the trans this morning and I found out there is no valvebody in it and the low/reverse band is broken...... I think it snapped the band then someone took the velvebody out, the broken pieces fell out and all that put back on is the pan..... I guess I'll pull the trans next week and fix it so it runs and drives.....

My plans are to get it running and driving, then swap out the parts I want..... Then I will shoot a coat of primer on it so it's one color, then sell it as a running driving car.....

Here's a couple pic's of it on the trailer last night after I got back with it.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I came with inches of buying that car, then I looked in the garage and I saw a 71 grabber and a 72 comet gt so I got cold feet and decided to keep working on the 71...lol... It seems like a really clean car...