My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. John Holden

John Holden Member

I stripped my door skins with a disc sander and sandblasted the inner parts with OOO sand and the texture came out just like new. Now I just have to figure out how to get a dent out of the texture without ruining it.

2. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    i know, i just wanted to point it out :)

3. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Stripped the outside of the original pass door and replacement drivers door(no reason to do the other one since I am going to use this one), and I also started stripping the inside of the pass door..... The pass door was just as I suspected, the bottom corners had the rust cut out and then they proceded to pack the holes with bondo(nice repair)..... Other then that it doesn't look too bad..... The drivers door looks real good except for the area right under the mirror.....

Here's what the pass door looks like.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's what the drivers door looks like.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Woo...not bad...

5. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    When I went to the shop yesterday morning there was glass everywhere..... One of the drivers door windows shattered for some reason, it got glass fragments all over the car..... I had quite the mess to clean up, unfortunately after cleaning it all up I found some chips in the cowl area of the car and a couple scratches on the roof..... I didn't do anything else after that due to being quite pissed off.....

This morning I went down and finished stripping the pass side door..... The I cut the crash bar out of the driver side door and then started to strip the inside of it.....

Here's the pass side door.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's what the driver side is looking like.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Too bad about the glass...I had a mirror shatter on a newly painted van once, it dug right in...
    One of those doors is the 73 style, it has the provisions for both styles of inside door releases.
    How was it getting the support out ? I was just thinking about that yesterday...

7. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    It wasn't easy but not too bad..... I had to cut it loose on the ends and then cut it more or less in half to get it out of the door.....

8. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Sorry to hear about the glass.

I used to sell window film including the hurricane and security-style protection film. Things that you would expect would make glass break, didn't always, and vise-versa. Once, I tried to break up a big mirror that needed to be disposed of and hitting it with a hammer didn't break it!

The most common way to break tempered glass like your door window is if something sharp and metal fell up against it.

9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Nothing hit the piece that broke..... Infact there were 3 pieces side windows stacked very carefully with an old shirt between each of them..... Odly enough the one that brake was the middle one.....

10. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Sucks about the glass. Never had a car glass shatter like that but I have had a sliding glass door and a shower door shatter for no reason. A glass guy told me its not real common, but its also not uncommon for tempered glass to shatter. He said its usually a manufacturing defect. If there is a tiny bubble in the glass the air trapped in it expands and contracts with temperature until it eventually shatters the glass. Dont know if thats true or not but it sounds good.

I used a wire wheel to clean the doors on my sprint and it worked great, Didn't hurt the textured metal at all.

11. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Glass hitting the same type of glass will do it too. The way you stored it sounds safe, but still, that might have done it. I think it might have to do with them all vibrating at the same frequency. What exhaust system are you running on your daily driver? ... open headers? Might have happened when you left the shop. :clap:

I use the old Corning Visions glass cookware. (brown glass from the 1980s ... not a fan of cooking on metals). You can drop this stuff on the floor all day long and it bounces. Drop one piece onto another, it shatters. It is the only way I have ever broken one....(er ... several).

Dennis talking about a patio door reminded me .... I broke glass in an entry door to a retail store one day.... big piece of tempered glass. A sharp piece of metal hit the glass near the bottom corner. Being tempered, it broke in 1/8th inch cubes, except, instead of breaking all at once, this more or less unravelled like an old sweater.... back and forth from the bottom up. The whole process took about 15 seconds ... accompanied with a litany of bad language coming out of me. :oops: Pretty amazing to watch, though.

12. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Finished stripping the drivers door this morning..... Then ground out the rest of the old bondo that was in it, most of the door look pretty good except for the area where the mirror attaches..... I have no idea what they did to it, so I decided to cut the area out and weld it a new piece for the original door..... Then I got some filler in the door before I quit for the day.....

Here's the rest of the door stripped.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the mirror area I needed to replace..... Then the area cut out and new piece welded in place..... Last one with a little fille on it.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    Nice work, Frank. (y)

Looks like someone used an air chisel to remove the mirror, lol.

14. Tannersg1

Tannersg1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Good job Frank! Did you use stripper and a wire brush to strip them?

15. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks..... I had not thought about an air chisel.....:rolleyes:

Thanks..... I used stripper.....

Got the drivers door ready for primer on the outer skin, then primed it..... Sanded the outer skin on the pass door and marked it up on the bottom edge for where to cut the rust out for patch panels.....

Here's the drivers door before and after primer.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's the pass door so far.....

[​IMG]