My 72 Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I am getting a pretty good deal and I am not going to put what I am paying out there.....

Last time he did a cage for me I brought the car to him with the interior and windows already removed(part of the reason I get a good deal)..... He knocked it out in a weeks time, then I reinstalled everything.....

It will be infront of the dash, there is really no room to cut the stock dash and have it look decent.....

2. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I also love to look at cage progress photos and look forward to what ever shots you can get for us :Handshake

3. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    There is a guy in Sacramento that builds cages, he built one for my 97 Mustang Cobra when I raced in the Silver States Classic. I think the cost was $500 and it took him three days to build and install it.......but that was back in 2001. I will try and find his name and number if you want.

4. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    hey frank good answer:thumbs2:

that would be great if you could find his number what range did you have it built for?
    I dont know where I need to be on the certification for the cage nor do I know how many points I need.
    do you know olerodder? Im guessing a 8.50 cage to be ahead of anything I will need?
    as far as points go I have no clue

whats your name by the way olerodder? we talk here and there I have no idea what your name is.
    mine is junrai..... no just kidding its Duane

5. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I will try and find his name and number.............it may take a little digging as it was a few years ago.
    I just had an 8 point cage made for the Mustang..............at 142mph max I didn't think I needed anything more plus it was a street car mostly. Didn't have any certification.
    Well..............just depends............if you are building for a 1k hp motor I think you could certainly break into the 8's.............so I would think 8.5 cert would be good enough.
    My name is Methuselah........................could be, but it's John.

6. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    had me there for a second I was trying to figure out how to pronounce that LOL
    ok john it is thats MUCH easier to remember and pronounce :Handshake

7. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I recieved my rear spoiler and some speakers for the kick panels this week.....

The only thing I did to the car today is change the carb, I found a NOS Hollet economaster on eBay that only cost $56 to my door..... It has had a surge from about 30 to 50mph and can be a little fussy on cold starts(and it don't get that cold here)..... Well I put the holley on it and it made a world of difference in the way it runs, it is flawless now..... The only reason I was worried about it is this motor is going to be in it for a whil longer, plus when I get ready to sell the 6 it will help greatly if it runs really good.....

I also took a side job, got another fox body 8.8 to straighten, weld tubes, add a brace, set up gears and install a Strange 33 spline spool & axle kit..... Someone trying to get ready for the NMRA race the second week of March at BMP.....

Here's the old carb(left) and new carb(right).....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  8. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I got the side job ready to assemble today, unfortunately while welding my mig has taken a SH!T(went to work and grabbed a mig to finish the side job up)..... It has been acting up for a while, i quess 15 years of hard use has finally done it in..... At this point I think I am going to just get a new one rather then try to get this one repaired.....

Not a whole lot new to report on the Comet yet..... I did get some manual steering stuff, front Wilwood brake kit and a True-trac unit for the rear end..... Next weekend I should finally be able to make some progress on it after I assemble the rear end(side job).....

That's it for now.....

9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Got the side job done this morning and finally got started on the Comet..... Got the seats out and removed the carpet..... The carpet was damp on the passenger side front floor, it rained quite a bit this week plus I washed it just before starting on it..... I think it's the windshield seal, it's kind of dried and has a couple cracks in it..... I will find out tomorrow when I remove the windows..... I think it moy have had a heater core pop at one time, probably after it sat all that time in the museum and then started getting driven again..... Anyways there is some surface rust on the pass side floor but no pitting at all, it also lifted some of the factory seam sealer..... It's an easy clean up and will get treated with some POR15.....

Here's what the floors look like.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    Looks good. if the seam sealer comes off, does it need new seam sealer applied or something else?

11. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I literally laughed and snorted :rofl2:

12. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    Rust never looked so beautiful lol

13. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet

Usually I would clean it up and reapply new seam sealer, but on the flat seams in the floor I will just strip it and treat it with POR15..... After the frame connectors and cage are installed the floor will be covered in Dynamat.....

Yeah, this is very minor..... No damage and an easy fix.....

14. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Today I got the windshield removed...... What a damn mess that made, gooey **** everywhere..... Took a while to clean up that mess, specially around the window opening..... I also removed the quater windows and rear window..... Next week I will get the car blocked up and leveled so I can get to work on putting the frame connectors in.....

Oh yeah, one thing I found that I thought was a little odd is when I removed the rear window it had no sealer on the rubber seal at all..... It did have a foam seal on the lip around the window opening that the rubber gasket pinched against the lip..... I have never seen this before and I am sure the glass has never been out before..... The last 2 pic's show what I'm talking about.....

Here's with the windows removed.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the gasket on the rear window lip I was talking about.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Yep...that is the way the factory installed the rear window.