My 72 Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    If the trim was off, and you took the highway with the windows down...the window would blow out, not much holding them in....

2. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Saturday I spent the better part of the day at the NMRA race in Bradenton..... This morning I went to the shop and did a little redneck engineering to the fuel system so the car would still run with no fuel tank in it..... Then I removed the rear bumper, valence panel and gas tank..... Good news is the tank is in fantastic shape..... I put the parts up in the overhead out of the way for now.....

I started to get my new welder going and got a phone call, I had to go help finish taking the motor out that I was buying..... Went over and got it out of the car and back to my shop..... This was just too good of a deal to pass up, it's a 347 with a ported set of Victor Jr's on it..... Here's the deal, I bought it intake to oil pan(no water pump) it is a Ford racing Sportsman block(has 1/2" head studs put in it), Probe SRS flat top pistons, Eagle H beam rods, Eagle steel crank, Comp solid flat tappet cam, Internal balance, sfi balancer, sfi flywheel, Comp cams pro magnum rockers, harderned chromolly push rods, Professionally Ported Victor Jr's with 2.08/1.6 ferrea valves, Comp springs and retainers, Unported Victor Jr Intake and an MSD distributor..... The heads are really way to big for what I want but like I said earlier I couldn't pass it up for $2200..... I can always sell the stuff I don't want to use..... I need to get it apart and check everything out good, but not until I get the damn frame connectors in the car so it can go for the cage.....

Here's new redneck engineered front mounted fuel cell.....

[​IMG]

Here's the back of the car after getting the tank out.....

[​IMG]

The new welder, I need to get my welding cart modified so it fits properly and actually try the welder out.....

[​IMG]

and here's a couple pic's of the motor after I took it out of the truck and put it on the stand.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    Nice everything lol..
    I had a back glass pop out and land on some tall grass in one piece before.. I remember seeing foam.

4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks..... You sure got lucky that glass didn't break.....

5. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Very nice little welder................I've had one exactly like that since 2006, and have built a couple of hot rod frames with it..........although TIG'd the motor mounts and steering mounts..............love that little welder!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    My old one retired on me a couple weeks ago, it was a Miller 130XL I bought about 15 years ago..... I was always happy with that one until it started acting up in the last year..... It should be all good now though.....

7. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    This morning I went down to the shop and modified my welding cart so the new welder would fit on it..... In the process I got to test the new welder out, it seems to work very nice.....

Then finally some progress was made on the car..... I got it blocked up and leveled for the frame connector install..... Also got the factory fuel lines removed and the emergency brake stuff that would be in the way..... Once it was up I removed the hub caps wheels and fenderwell trim(I can not use the fenderwell trim with the new wheels due to having to modify the rear fenderwell lip, plus 2 of them were pretty badly banged up..... After that I wire brushed the passenger side floor areas that were surface rusted, they cleaned up real well..... Last thing I did was to scrap all the factory seam sealer out of the interior floor area..... Tomorrow I will get the lower floor areas stripped where I will be notching for the frame connectors to come up through, and welding them.....

Here's the car up on blocks and leveled.....

[​IMG]

and here's the floor after wire brushing surface rusted areas and scraping out seam sealer.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wedek

wedek Member

Vehicle:
    Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Jeep-Nissan
    Pretty cool cart...torches and a welder all in one package

9. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Just seems strange seeing the Comet in your build thread after getting so used to seeing your Maverick :hmmm:

Looking forward to watching this build as well :thumbs2:

10. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet

Much more compact then having multiple carts when you only have so much space to work with.....

Maverick/Comet, basically then same..... :huh:

11. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Nice car, kind of weird seeing three bottles on a MIG cart..........but then I don't have an Oxy/Cety setup............could have used one for knocking out the old front spring bushings.
    Comet sure looks clean inside.

12. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet

Thanks, yes it is pretty clean..... I am just hoping the cowl isn't rusted, the carpet had to get wet somehow..... I will find out after I get it back from the cage install.....

13. wedek

wedek Member

Vehicle:
    Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Jeep-Nissan
    I know someone that may have a cowl you could have. :yup:

We can cut it out with a plasma cutter so its not hacked up real bad for you. Im not sure yet how much I can/will remove so you have some options in case your car needs a cowl

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  14. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    That one was repaired, I don't think I could get it apart without destroying it..... It is plug welded together now, not spot welded like originally.....

15. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    IToday I got the lower area of the front and rear floor pans stripped..... Then I got the frame connectors out, I mocked up the pass side one for a test fit..... After that I proceded to knotch the connector and floor pan to get more ground clearance, and add a little more strengthto the unibody..... I managed to get the pass side completely fitted, just need to clean up the surfaces on the factory subframes so it can be welded in place..... It only took about 2.5 hours to fit the connector this way, the drivers side should be a little easier because i can transfer the mods from one connector to another.....

Here's the cleaned up floor pan area.....

[​IMG]

Here's how the subframe connector is supposed to fit under the floor.....

[​IMG]

Here's how it fits after modifications and notched up into the floor.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the difference in the connector as supplied and after modification side by side.....

[​IMG]