My 72 Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank :
    I think they look terrific ! Just be careful of any ' dips ' in the road.. I hit one with my Comet and took out a set of Street/Strip Slicks when they grooved on the inner fender lip. I've since ' rolled ' the inner fender areas and filled he
    fold and sealed the area to prevent accumulation of debris and starting a rust condition. I run BFGs now and no problem.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

2. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet

Thanks Chip, My rear fender openings are rolled out quite a bit and there is less then a 1/4" lip leaft..... I drove it over a bunch of dips intentionally yesterday, and some more today just normal driving..... So far so good, I haven't heard anything and there are no signs on the tires yet.....

3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank:
    Sounds like you're on top of things as usual . A Quarter isn't much of an appendage .Driving over the ' dips ' first was
    wise . Looks like you'll be putting some miles on that Comet real soon ! Happy Driving !!
    Cometized
    (Chip)

4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I checked over everything on the car this weekend(plugs, tune, all nuts/bolts underneath, set shocks/struts, checked pinion angle and adjusted Cal-Tracs)..... I also dumped 5 gallons of E98 I had in the tank which got it up to E29 with the non-ethanol that was still in it..... I had a small issue with the tune then, but I figured it out since it was my screw up..... I drove it around some Sat and all seems good.....

This morning I went and got 35 gallons of E85(I checked it and it is E85) so I am stocked up for the moment..... Everything was going so well with it I decided to up the boost, I put 6.9 lb springs in the gates..... I took it out and made a little test hit, a low gear blast to about 5500..... It made 8.1lbs of boost, and everything was very safe by the log(I am just starting to get this log shit figured out)..... After I got done screwing around with it today I cleaned it up and was getting it ready for Wed night tune and test when I realized a I never painted the removable side bars for the cage..... So I cleaned them up and got some paint on them.....

I topped the tank off with E85, it looks like it's up to about E38 now..... I will be at the local 1/8 track Wed night for tune and test..... Hopefully all goes well, I guess we will see then.....

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank:
    It's gotta feel great .. driving your Comet and discovering the personality of the car .

6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    It's nice just being able to drive it some..... Getting to finally take it to the track is the icing on the cake.....

7. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Heard that ! Go get em Frank !
    Chip

8. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I did take it to the track last night, apparently mostly to watch it rain for the most part..... I did get 1 run in just before the rain came..... It was a very clean run with no issues, the log from the run looked very good..... It ran better then I thought it would although it looks like the converter is a little on the loose side..... Anyways here is the run, looks like I'll be upping the boost some and doing some more testing.....

[​IMG]

groberts101 likes this.
  9. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Glad to see you finally reaping some rewards for all that hard work! And not bad at all for a shakedown run in less than ideal weather. Humidity keeps you safer on boost but flat out kills traction and et potential. :cheers2:

10. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks..... It's got a lot more in it, but I will not get to aggressive to fast..... Traction was not an issue on that pass.....

11. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I have been doing some testing(not at the track since weather has not been good in the evenings) and I believe I have found the limits of the Aeromotive Stealth 340lph in tank pump even with a boost-a-pump..... I had the boost turned up to 14.5lbs and approximately E42 fuel(fuel pressure was a steady 58psi), everything looked really good so I decided to turn it up some more.....

It is now making 17.8lbs and the fuel is up too E62, and this is where it all goes bad..... Fuel pressure went to 59psi pretty much as soon as the tps got to 100%, and then the fuel pressure fell to 29psi, injector duty cycle went from 80% to 122%, target air fuel was 11.0 - actual air fuel went to almost 17..... I was lucky because it was a full throttle blip from a 10mph roll and less then 2 seconds, the tires were spinning so there was no heavy load..... The car seemed to be running fine..... This morning I checked everything, drove it around and gave it a quick blip from 15 or 20 mph, same thing the fuel pressure went to 59 and then the bottom fell out.....

Now the dilemma is how I am going to fix this issue, the easy way is to put a Walbro 450 in tank E85 pump in..... Problem is will that be enough..... The other option it to go to a Magnafuel 4303 or something similar, I know some guys have had good luck with these and they don't need a controller..... The problem with this is I will either have to go to a sumped tank or fuel cell..... What to do, what to do!!!!!

12. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank:
    Bill Roberts has converted three cars to the " In Tank " sump & fuel pump conversion by using a tank originally for a Mustang .. Mavaholic ( Dennis ) has a great article on the Mustang fuel tank conversion in " this " forum. But instead of using a regular fuel tank as Dennis did , use one for a Fuel Injection conversion . They are available in 16 and twenty two gallon capacity from an outfit named appropriately " TANKS INC." . By installing the tank , you avoid the intrusion of a fuel cell in your trunk . Here is a ' link ' http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...t_id=489/category_id=135/mode=prod/prd489.htm Hope this helps .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

13. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I have a
    I have a tanks inc tank in my car now that's for a 65-68 Mustang with the Aeromotive module..... The problem is the hole in the tank the fuel pump goes in is barely big enough for one pump and I am not sure even a single Walbro 450 will be enough..... I really need duals if I do in tank to be safe.....

14. klsanders

klsanders Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

Wow! First, I'll say I just spent a few hours combing over this 86 page thread, and your metal fab skills/ paint skills/engineering skills/mechanic skills and all around ingenuity that you implemented in this build is TOP NOTCH and makes me wanna sit on my hands!

I have a procharged 408w in my 72 Maverick and went with the Aeromotive Dual Phantom in tank pump (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18309) Have you considered that one or is there a clearance issue?

15. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks, and thanks for the info..... I have not looked at that one yet, I will investigate it further..... Once again thanks for the info.....