My '72 Grabber build thread

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by John Holden, Sep 12, 2011.

1. John Holden

John Holden Member

The screws for that metal brace are just finger tight. I was planning on taking it off and assembling the lower dash, bracket, glove box liner and glove box door as a unit before putting it into the car. I am now wondering if the heater/ac unit will have to be installed before the lower dash or if I can sneak it in after. Thanks for the comments.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

You will need to install the heater/AC box before the lower dash if it is a factory unit.

3. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Yeah, I refer to removing the factory heat/AC unit as being like "trying to pull a molar out of a T. Rex. dinosaur". You can wiggle it about an inch at a time until you finally get it out of there.

I wouldn't have the passenger seat in there either, and no kick panel on that side ... to keep from scratching it.

4. John Holden

John Holden Member

Ok thanks for the advice guys.

5. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Knowing how far you took your car apart, I would have put in the AC box before the metal dash.

6. John Holden

John Holden Member

I would have done that but I haven't begun to restore the heater/ac box yet.

7. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    To be honest I'd pull the dash back out when you get ready to install the heater box. It makes it ten times easier. It is far easier to remove and re-install the dash than to install the heater box with the dash in. Heck I removed and re-installed my dash several times while I was reassembling my car, because I forgot what order to install things after having them apart for so long! :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. John Holden

John Holden Member

That's not going to happen because the windshield will probably be in by the time I get around to rebuilding the heater. It really wasn't that hard to take the assembly out with the upper dash in the car. I'm sure it will be a little harder putting it back in but not impossible.

9. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Yeah....it is still do-able. I would do it before you put the seats back in.

10. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I attempted to load my A/C box back in with the metal dash in place ... several times. Never could get it lined up solo. Very frustrating.

Had a friend stop by ... it was in place in 15 seconds with him guiding from under the hood. Just had to be able to line up the bolts. Shockingly easy compared to the previous struggle.

11. John Holden

John Holden Member

Sometimes a second set of eyes are all that's needed.

12. Steven Harris

Steven Harris Member

Butlerville, Ohio (currently out of country)
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Very nice work John.

Have you done the ball bearing clutch pedal on other vehicles? How did you make your selection of ball bearings?

13. John Holden

John Holden Member

Thanks! Yes I did the mod on my falcon as well. I can't take credit for the idea though. A friend showed me how to do it and he came up with the bearing. He's done it on dozens of cars.

14. John Holden

John Holden Member

I can finally report that more progress has been made! Summer is usually crazy so I didn't get anything done for a few months. I did however find some parts etc. during that time. Well last week I got the steering column installed and sorted through most of my maverick parts and organized what I had. That will be a time saver in the future because it won't take me as king to find stuff. Last night with help from a couple I buddies I got the front strut rods changed out. One of my old ones was bent and both bushings were shot. I also installed the heater controls in the dash and mounted the battery box in the trunk. The battery is bolted down and the cables are terminated and I an close to being ready to power up the car. Next will be installing the electric fuel pump and it's wiring, new fuel line front to back and wiring the radio and speakers. Hopefully I'll get some of that done this weekend.

15. John Holden

John Holden Member