Need help with turn signals on 72 Comet

Discussion in 'Technical' started by HarleyGA, Mar 1, 2016.

1. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    I replaced all bulbs, bulb sockets, flasher unit. All of the grounds have new terminals an are attached to shiny metal. Turning on the parking lights everything comes on except the right front side marker light. I had that marker light working for awhile but then mysteriously stopped working again. During the brief time it came on the turn signals still failed to work. There is no voltage at that marker right now. I unplugged the turn signal wiring harness under the steering wheel and cleaned the sockets. I'm baffled. Last item I can think of is the turn signal switch. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the switch? Hate to buy a replacement unless I'm sure it's bad. Maybe I missed something else.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would probe the wires of that side marker light with a test light. I have had cases where the socket has gone bad itself...or the wires have broken just before they enter the socket.

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    If above doesn't help move to switch and check for power at plug under dash on blue wire from flasher... If there is no power there could be a fuse or bad flasher... If power is there and none on connections exiting the switch problem is in switch...

[​IMG]

If you have no signals at all problem is probably the blue wire is broken inside at pivot... Usually there is enough wire remaining on switch to make a repair, will need to add in a couple inches...

If brake lights are out, the green wire is suspect...

[​IMG]

Lucifer and NCFatBoy like this.
  4. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Thanks Craig. I located one small wiring issue so while I still don't have turn signals I do have all lights working now in parking light mode.

Thanks Tom for the diagram and suggestion. One question. Are you saying to partially unplug the flasher far enough to expose part of the terminal and then check to see if there is voltage between that tab and any suitable ground?

5. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Thanks Craig. I located one small wiring issue so while I still don't have turn signals I do have all IMG_1691.JPG lights working now in parking light mode.

Thanks Tom for the diagram and suggestion. One question. Are you saying to partially unplug the flasher far enough to expose part of the terminal and then check to see if there is voltage between that tab and any suitable ground? No visible blue wire so it must be located on the back side/

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I see yours has a white wire, guessing that's a replacement switch(all my orig '71/ '72 sw have green)... You can check to see if there is voltage on it as with ign on it's fed by flasher... That's for both R & L so if either works isn't your problem... You're probably going to have to check on signal sw connector under dash...

7. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Still no turn signals. The green, light blue and white/red hash wires all have power at the connector. I removed the switch assembly and removed the cam. There was a small brittle crack on the white wire but not in a place where in was shorting. I repaired the wire with small strips of electrical tape, cleaned all the contacts and put everything back together. Next I removed the cable jacket between the switch and connector. All the wires appeared to be perfect. Never have I been so frustrated working on what looks like a simple circuit. All of the lights work as does the emergency flasher. I hate the thought of spending $100+ on a new assembly. Any last thoughts from anyone?