Need Opinions on Wheels

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 72comet_GT, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    ditto that... and i seen them rust away myself.. my dad had a set of thoses.. started to rust around the lugs.. and heck we live in california! they are nice rims but personally i wouldn't buy them.... also remember lots of wheels now days are made in china.. not that there is nothing wrong with that, since probably about 45% of the stuff in your house is made there... but if retro is what your looking for its retro china is what your getting.

IMO for the price of those you could get something way lighter for about the same price and wouldn't rust either. but get whatever you want.

2. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    :huh: By "cheap-ass" do you mean "affordable?". Aren't CraigerSS also "retro -stuff?" I for one like the Keystone wheels:yup: and have had them on MANY differnt cars and trucks and must say they are as good a quality as any other wheels in their price range:wave: .I think we all have our :hmmm: opinions about what is/looks good and we also have (well most of us) a budget to guide our projects.I always listen to others opinions/veiwpoints (remembering that they are just that-others) and base my desissions on my taste and what I can afford. I for one do not like the look of CraigerSS wheels - So what,who cares what I like? Any way Just build the way YOU want as money alows and do not spend too much time worring what others think-ENJOY what you have!! I am sure that if T.L. had a set Keystones he would give them away FREE since they are soooo ugly.:D :D :lolup:

3. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    By "cheap", I mean not well-made. They are actually way over priced, and Keystone in general is not a high quality wheel brand. You can get a good set of Eagle alloys for anywhere from $65 each to $110 each. They are light-weight and will never rust. Oh, and they look great too. So why spend $130 or whatever on Keystone junk. My first set of custom wheels were Keystones--the "nugget" modular style. I bought them new and within 3 years they were rusting. They also could never be balanced well and I always had vibration. Of course they were only $50 each.

As for "ugly", well....what one person thinks is ugly, another will think is beautiful. My buddy has a fat ugly girlfriend whom he intends to marry. I just don't see the attraction, I couldn't wake up next to that every day. In fact, I couldn't even get "turned-on" if you know what I mean, so it's a matter of personal taste, I guess.

Summit has chrome Magnum 500s for $125 each. It's a way better-looking wheel and much higher quality chrome...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    It's been a few days,but if you want to get some bigger wheels for the back and keep the hubcaps,some early '70's Torinos and mustangs had 14x7 steels,yours should be 6's.Subtle difference.If you want that "tuff" look,I like Weld Prostars,but they are a lightweight wheel so they're easily bent when it comes to potholes and stuff.Cragar makes a chrome steel "streetstar" that looks like the welds,but they are really HEAVY.As far as the "retro" look,Cragars are ok although you do have to keep up the chrome,Keystones,pretty much the same.But I'd rather have an old set of crusty torque thrusts and a can of (aluminum polish of your choice)than either.JMO

5. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    Keystones are made by Cragar as far as I know.

6. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    As was previously mentioned, a lot of the "retro" stuff is made in China these days. You never really know what you're getting...

7. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    I have 6 magnum 500 painted wheels now, paid a total of $60. They weren't pretty when I got them, but I cleaned them up good and painted them myself, look much better now, I have the 14x6s up front and the 7s out back, and two spares. Look around, if you're not sure what you want, hunt around swap meets for a while, you can get stuff CHEAP there, and if you decide you dopn't like them, you can resell them and make your money back. I just got my thrush side pipes in, they need a lot of work, but I paid 25 for the pair, and I need to get the end caps, clean them up, and paint them with a high temp paint. If I don't like the look on my car, I'll truck them off to the swap meets, as well with my mach 1 spoiler that I picked up for 1c if I don't like the looks.
    Shaun

8. 72comet_GT

72comet_GT Member

Vehicle:
    1972 comet GT
    Yeah, those GT rims do look good. They are a little pricey...150 for the wheels and 50 each for the caps. :( However they are new chromed wheels and look good. My old man...(an old time ford enthusiest and falcon, mustang owner), thinks I'm nuts :coco: for getting away from the stock look of the dog dish wheels. Says those look better on my car than on most other cars he has seen, and allows it to stand apart from most others who have the after market wheels. Say's "nowadays, being original, is being different"

Affordability is definately an issue. The money is there, but there is always something else I need to get....so I need to budget here too. Here's what I think I'll do.....Get a steel 15x7 wheel, buy a couple of 255 60 15's for the back, use the dog dish set-up, and keep the 14's on the front (205 70). I'll show up at the Ford show in Carlise for once, and get a good look at all the wheel/tire set-ups. Then buy. That way I'll only have the cost of 2 tires into it, for which I'll use anyway for the new wheels. I am hoping we get a decent showing of Mav/Comets this year. It's a 12 hour drive for me. But I'll show. Show up that is....my car is no show car by any means...just a fun drive.:D

Dwayne

9. 72comet_GT

72comet_GT Member

Vehicle:
    1972 comet GT
    Oh yeah....lets open a new can of worms...my Dad says I should go with blackwalls, instead of raised white lettering. :bs: I say it depends on the wheels.

D. Ray

10. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I like blackwalls...

11. Timsm

Timsm Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick
    Hey Ronald, what did you do with the center hole on the GT wheels to have them fit on your car? I've got a set off of a Torino GT but the hole is too small to fit the Mav/Granada rotors & axles.

Oh, and I prefer Miller to Keystone, but I've never had a rust problem with either of them......

12. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Mine are off a 68 Mustang and they fit with out doing anything. But this car has drum brakes front and rear.

13. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I have the Crager SS on mine and yes they get rust around the lug nuts. They do however clean up well. I am thinking of getting the Crager SS in 17s all aluminum(new product) and sending them out to be powder coated clear.

14. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    I looked at every rim I could find and it came down to the Cragars, Keystones and TTD's,
    I like the 70's look cuz thats when I started to take an interest in cars.
    I went with the Cragars, I guess timeless means when kids tell ya they really like those wheels.

15. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    I believe Mavaholic has those same GT wheels on his Sprint