New and in need of help

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by randymachine73, Aug 3, 2023.

1. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    Hi guys,

New to the forum. I bought a 1973 maverick a few years ago. The car is an inline six 250, two door. I have a Nevada pink slip, but I live in California. To get the VIN verification done, I need the emission decal. I've searched all over and put in several orders, but everyone seems to be out of stock on this item. Please let me know if anyone can help. Located near Sacramento.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    That's California for ya.
    Good luck...

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Russell, TeeEl and mojo like this.
  4. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick

It is true that there is no smog testing required for the vehicle, which is why I bought it. That is not the problem. A VIN verification is required to transfer the title, because the vehicle is from out of state. The form REG31 for a VIN verification has a box for emission label for all vehicles 1968 and newer. Believe it or not.

I may have found a label in stock from a vendor. If I receive the label and pass the VIN verification inspection, I'll pass on the info, vendor name, part number, etc, for others. Just in case someone else falls into this unlikely scenario.

And then do the obligatory v8 swap. lol :biglaugh:

Thanks Folks.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Osborn Reproductions makes and sells the decals for a lot of Fords

6. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    Good news. I got a title and plates!
    Pulled the motor and transmission out.
    Got a 250ci on the engine stand and a C4 on the floor in the garage.
    First time rebuilding an engine. Might just Fresh up the six before v8 swap.
    Also looking at a new gas tank. The f30 looks cheap. Some how my tank is already centered. Maybe previous did that when went to dual exhaust. Man, the 6601 exhaust header is pricy and mine is cracked and leaking.
    Also need to rebuild the power steering and suspension. Yay. Lol :smash:

7. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    hey '73:

"Maybe previous did that when went to dual exhaust. Man, the 6601 exhaust header is pricy and mine is cracked and leaking."

that anvil strong 250 small block six could probably keep your Maverick rolling for a good long ride and plenty of performance upgrades are widely available bolt-on and or ... .

The Hooker Dual Out Longtube headers applcation for the 250 are the Hooker 6602's - the 6601's are for the small block 170/200 applications and will not fit 250 without modification, which uses the same bellhouse and starter as SBF V8

The 'stroker' small block six 250 deck height is almost 2" taller than 200 and 6601 headers have interference with 250's SBF bellhouse and starter position.

6602's on 250 and 6601's

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

have fun

'74 Maverick with 250 -T5 and some other mods:

[​IMG] .
    [​IMG] . [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  8. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    .. just wanted to add that if you have a set of Maverick/Comet application 6602's - they are worth repairing if not rusted out significantly because they are much more rare than the small block 6601's and may be unobtainamum

[​IMG]

9. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    Thanks for the info. I have a set of 6602, but they leak right at the flange to the head. I could possibly have them re-welded but I think the heat cycles would probably break the weld again.

10. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    What is required for a roots blower on the I6? Forged pistons? 8:1 compression? Are there stronger valve springs available to achieve a higher Rev? Blow through carburetor modifications?

11. randymachine73

randymachine73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    I appreciate the challenge and home brew engineering that goes into hot rodded sixes. Might be beyond my scope at the moment though considering. It'd be a lot of set back learning to weld my own headers from scratch or working out the cylinder head. It's tempting. Even making a billet head completely cnc machined. I wonder what folks would pay, if anyone, for a cnc machined Aluminum head?

12. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Roots blower or Centrifugal requires a planned build ...

"...blower on the I6? Forged pistons? 8:1 compression? Are there stronger valve springs available to achieve a higher Rev? Blow through carburetor modifications?"

The small block six is a stout platform to begin with, so (IMHO) mild boost is possible as long as the engine is 'fresh' ,the AFR's stay in the knee and Ignition timing and boost levels are tightly monitored.

Depending on your motives and resources, a power adder can be accomplished on any reasonably well running small block six with careful attention to ignition and fuel monitoring.

I've been running the 250 with carb and Vortech SC for @ 2 yrs for a few thousand miles with significant power capability. Boost is bled off to @ 5-8 PSI and AFR's and ign. timing kept conservative.

Current 250 is simply a stock block/cam with freshened cyl head but not milled for a SCR @ 8.7:1 with 'new' composite gasket and ARP bolts.

Previous attempt was a Turbo'd 250 , but after allowing increasing boost levels (@ 15PSI) , the piston ring lands broke off and engine spewed oil mist across windshield with too much right pedal enthusiasm...

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

I look forward to more discussion on low boosting for moderate power gains.

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

Roots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  13. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    If you have the money for that, you have the money for a V-8 that will make more power...

14. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    mojo likes this.
  15. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle: