New member (need the spring and latch to secure drivers side seat)

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by jacksaloma, Mar 5, 2019.

1. jacksaloma

jacksaloma New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick Grabber 1970
    Hi,
    I have been on here but it was so many years ago, I was not recognized. I have an early 1970 Grabber that was my sister's originally. I finished the interior restoration (95 % done) about 5 years ago. I have done little bits since then. I decided to do as much of the body repairs as I could myself before I have it painted. I finally have it running with decent braking, although the drums will have to be replaced eventually. I am finishing up on bits and pieces. The spring and hardware to latch the front seat is gone except for the latch itself and I am hoping to locate one from someone here. I hope to have painting done this spring so an end is in sight.
    I tore apart the lower dash and heating ductwork in anticipation of replacing the blower motor as it did not run. I cound not brake loose the motor and put it all back together resolving to send it to a shop to do that. After reattaching the motor ground wire, the motor runs fine! At least the 4 hours I spent was not wasted for the next time I try to replace the motor.
    Horn does not work, I was afraid I would have to replace the steering wheel, but the horn rim checks out with an ohm meter. Now I have to find the fuse block and see if fuse is out.I guess my 3 spoke steering wheel is a rare bird and was only on the first few Grabbers, does anyone have a history of these steering wheels ???? I see they was used in Mustangs 1970-72, and the rare ones on eBay run $2000 to $4000 if you can find them.
    I registered the Grabber some years ago with someone who does a register, I have lost track how I did that , it is Grabber Green with White side striping.
    I also suspect it is impossible to find a decent original rear spoiler now a days. I looked at an after market one a few years ago but it was made of thicker fiberglass and would not pull in to be even with the side pieces. I have rebuild the original spoiler that was shattered in half with fiberglass and bondo, but I suspect that once I get my replacement trunk lid cut to take the spoiler, the thing will look a little uneven.
    Jack

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :Welcome:...back...:Handshake:

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I am keeper of the 1970 Ford Maverick Grabber Registry.

The steering wheel you describe is called a rim blow steering wheel. They were also found on other Fords and Mercurys, just with different center pads. I have seen them in the $200 to $500 range.....never as high as you quoted.

The rear spoiler is fiberglass. Fixing it with bondo will not last and it will need to be fixed with a product specifically made to repair fiberglass.

4. BKelley

BKelley Comet Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    "72" Comet GT
    Welcome to the MMB Jack!
    Within the last couple of years, the non-locking 3 spoke steering wheel has been reproduced.
    https://www.parts123.com/parts123/y...~S4NM0NPV6050160279414a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50001018o

Also, the rear spoiler was made of SMC (sheet molded compound aka sheet molding composite) utilizing fibers of polyester or carbon, and there are special glues, fillers etc made specifically for SMC.

Currently, there are 3 major providers of reproduction Maverick parts... and each have searchable websites, both Melvins and Autokrafters have Maverick specific parts catalogs you can download from their respective websites.
    1. Melvins Classic Ford Parts
    2. Autokrafters
    3. Dennis Carpenter

5. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Welcome from the tundra known as the Northeast!

6. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    :Welcome: from Northeast Pennsylvania

7. Garystac

Garystac Member

Vehicle:
    None (for now)
    Hello, Jack! Welcome to the forum! From Tampa, FL. :)