New Suspension Help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pmricken, Sep 15, 2019.

1. pmricken

pmricken Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT, 1976 Maverick Stallion
    Hi, guys. I'm helping my dad with his 73 Comet GT rotisserie rebuild, and I'm working on the suspension. I have new front springs and rear leaf springs, and working on the shock selection now. Is there a preferred brand/type of shock for this application? I noticed AutoKrafters sells Gabriel shocks, but the options seem endless from other vendors. Also, what else needs to be replaced in the front end while the engine and suspension is out?

Jaybee likes this.
  2. Maverocket

Maverocket Bob Williams

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav, 62 F100 unibody
    As far as shocks go, a lot of guys use the KYB’s. There is also a rebate available on them until the end of the month. Rockauto has great prices on suspension parts for our cars.

Jaybee and BBMS18 like this.
  3. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Your car’s rubber suspension bushings are all 46 years old, so I would suggest replacing all of them.

Jaybee and mojo like this.
  4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Basically the rubber parts plus anything in suspension and steering that moves.

Jaybee, mojo and BBMS18 like this.
  5. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Rubber spring insulator on top of spring, spring perches, A new upper control arm will have new bushings and ball joint plus nice finish, same with lower, idler arm bushing, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, possibly strut rod bushings (get rubber, not urethane). If the springs are not cut, re-use if the ride height was good. Lots of people have had to cut new springs to bring the front end back down...check condition of the eccentric bolts that adjust camber; I bought new ones but re-used the old ones as they seemed more stout.

6. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    I used Mustang 620 1" drop front springs on my 73 but as stuman says, the ride height was a little high. I cut one coil off which dropped it about 2 inches. I used four leafs on the rear which brought the rear up some but not too much. The car now sits fairly level.

BBMS18 likes this.