Newbies Considering a V8 Swap, Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by chuth, Jan 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ike72com

ike72com Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet, 70 mustang, F250 and F100
    Sir....
    Welcome to hot rodding. Best way to know is put on engine and drop in car. Nothing going to work out perfectly.

If it do not fit modify whatever it hits or buy correct pan.

I dropped in 302 few weeks ago (pan sump in same location as yours) and my plug was close to belly bar or whatever it's called. I made it work however.

xpsnake likes this.
  2. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    I had a kicked out and baffled Milodon pan on my car for years. I had to ding it in one spot where the steering rubbed. Every car is different, I would certainly test fit first.

ike72com likes this.
  3. chuth

chuth Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Do you have anymore pictures or info for either of these shifting modifications? Thanks.

4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    I am all for using good junk, but you have to know its good. Take the oil filter off that motor and cut it open to see if it has metal in it. If that is a roller motor, a 28 oz. balancer will not work. Also, roller cams require a steel gear, not cast iron. Check your distributor gear and make sure it is steel. If it ran with the wrong gear, it is my understanding that the gear will deteriorate, and fill your oil filter and/or your system with shrapnel. If you have the pan off, check a couple bearings to see what kind of wear they have, or how much crud is embeded in them. Inspect rod and main journals, they should be shiny and smooth. New timing chains are cheap too.

The other way to see if is any good is to toss it in and run it.....but since it is on the stand, I would mess with it a bit. If you take it apart, you can inspect cylinders, heads, piston tops, camshaft ( see if it is a roller or was swapped for flat tappet), lifters,etc. Look for major issues. If it is old, it might look old, lol. Just try to determine if your junk is any good. You will be able to tell if it was ever re-built too. Get those heads identified. Get a cheap harbor freight dial indicator....you can find out true TDC, measure crankshaft thrust tolerance, measure piston to deck height from true TDC, measure cam lift at the lifter, all kinds of fun stuff. CC your combustion chamber and find out your compression based upon head gasket thickness and piston to deck height. Research X 3 ....... The more you learn from this junk, the fewer mistakes you will make if/when you spend some substantial money. I built my motor out of $1,000.00 worth of junk. Just know that there is some risk involved, and if you want 100,000 miles of service from it......well, ahem, maybe decide to spend some money.

5. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The Granada shift cable works good with a C4 bellhousing that has the spot it bolts to already on it. I got my C4 from a junk Granada that had a 250 in it, but I think it was rebuilt as it was painted silver and the fluid was very clean.

6. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Only forged roller cams need a steel distributor gear. Many after market roller cams are cast iron...
    Only forged roller cams need a steel distributor gear. Many after market roller cams are cast iron...

7. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I did not know that, but now that you mention it.....I pulled a roller cam out of a mustang GT that had a remanufactured engine and when I compared it to the Ford roller cam, it looked cheap. It did not have "GT" specs, so I returned it for credit on yet another GT cam that WAS original, and there is a difference. The one I turned back probably was cast.

TeeEl likes this.
  8. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Just like can't run iron dist gear on steel cam, can't use steel roller lifters on a cast cam, lobes will soon wear. No doubt some have tried it, recipe for disaster.

TeeEl and stumanchu like this.
  9. chuth

chuth Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    We did dig into this motor. Turned out it was a flat tappet, not roller. Bored .030 over. We replaced the main bearings, cam bearings, rod bearings, pistons, oil pump, timing chain, oil pan (old one wouldn't fit with the crossmember), distributor, fuel pump, honed the cylinders, lapped the valves, all new gaskets. We installed it in the car a little over a week ago and it started right up. We've temporarily rigged up the old 6 cylinder throttle cable (we've got a new throttle cable and kickdown cable ordered). We've modified the shifter linkage and it seems to work fine. We haven't driven it yet, gonna try and get the power steering back on first. Exhaust looks like its going to interfere with the pitman arm. Not sure what to about that yet. image0 (002).jpeg IMG_6989 (002).JPG

Krazy Comet likes this.
  10. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    BFH...

11. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    That sounds great. Get the rings seated and break it in like a new motor. That motor should go the distance....or at least as long as it needs to until the next upgrade, lol. I want to know how it runs! I like what you did with the valve covers.

12. chuth

chuth Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    :smash:

13. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Looks really good...

14. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    One photo of the rod I made from the longest and shortest pieces of a stock 200i6 column shift, four photos from Jack Grice's '70 with the Granada cable and bell. I put over 50k miles on my car with the first piece.
    2019-10-24 21.47.26.jpg mav_062.JPG IMG_0745.JPG mav_179.JPG mav_078.JPG

15. chuth

chuth Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Thank you!