newest project issues already

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by j miller, Apr 4, 2008.

1. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    can you have someone in a state that does not require a title for old cars register it then transfer it back to you?

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Yeah, and if you get caught, you'll goto prison!

3. j miller

j miller Montana MCCI state rep

Vehicle:
    77 2 door Maverick, 250ci, power disc brakes, a/c,
    it sounds like this is getting very complicated. might just be easier to eat the cost and return the car. the seller told me about the mechanic lein but i don't have the connections to do it (or the time) . between work and full time school it is pretty tite. thanks for the advice. i'll keep you posted.

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    A short consultation with a lawyer (ewwww ...ewww...ewww) might help solve this. :yup:

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I had a similar problem when I tried to get my '74 Grabber registered. Of course GA is a non title state, so it was a little easier to get it worked out.

Not that I advocate doing it either, but if you change all traces of the VIN, including on the fender aprons, get one of the reproduction door tags, I don't see how they could prove any different? There are people who have been caught doing it in GA also, but it was generally on newer vehicles, like a 2003 F250 King Ranch that was stolen here locally, and had the original VIN in multiple hidden places on the frame and elsewhere. Where is the VIN on a Maverick... the fender aprons, dash and tag in the door. There are no telling how many old Mustangs are out there that have had the same thing done to them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  6. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
  7. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Do you know any reputable used car dealers in your area(a friend or associate)If so you could sell it to them and then they can go through proper channels to fix the title.Then sell it back to you with the title corrected.Itl cost you a little bit(cover the dealers fileing fees/paperwork etc...)Plus what ever you agree on for selling price.He payes you 50.00 for the car then turns the paperwork over and sells it back to you for 50.00 + cost of paperwork.At the very least I would go talk to a used car seller/wholesaler they should be able to give you the info you need to get it fixed if they cant or wont do it for you.Where I work(wholsaler) we have had this problem in the past and corrected it with a minimum of fuss.Hope this help you,Good luck.

8. j miller

Vehicle:
    has anyone used this broadway title before? how does it work? do you sell them the car, then they sell it back to you and supply a bill of sale.( on paper anyway) then you can apply for a title?

9. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Basically....something like that. Kind of expensive in my opinion.

You could do the same thing yourself. Sell the car to somebody in Georgia, then buy it back from them.

10. j miller

Vehicle:
    just got a call from a friend in georgia who said the same thing. thanks craig. he's checking on it on monday.

11. paxtond

paxtond Member

Vehicle:
    1971, 1976 Comets
    Funny I had a similar thing happen to me this week. I've been prepping to bring the resto project home and it was title transfer time. Turns out the VIN had been wrong since it was orignially registered. I had to have the car appraised to be able to transfer title which is now a requirement here for older cars (so the gov't gets a proper tax cut instead of having to rely on wink-wink reciepts of purchase). Anyway I had to do what's called a "VIN correction" at the Ministry of Transport (our version of the DMV). All they required was a letter from the Mfg's representative (i.e. a Ford dealer) on their letterhead stating what the original VIN on the car is (on the data plate) and what it is not (the # on the ownership). The VIN had originally been transposed with an "H" instead of a "1F". Anyway went to the original dealer (any Ford dealer would supposedly do though), they took care of it in 10 minutes. I also brought along the appraisal - since it had the data plate VIN and a pencil rubbing of the dash tag just for back-up. Transferred the ownership the next day no problem - they just had to talk with their regional office over the phone to get some kind of file #.
    According to the dealer "we get one of these every now and then for older cars".
    I would see if your state has a DMV website detailing what you require to do a VIN correction and then ask a local Ford dealer if they've ever had to do a VIN correction before - bet they have.

12. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    red 74comet 351 windsor ps /db
    i had to send away for a salvage title in n.c. for my 74 because the ouner couldent find it.it took 3 weeks but i got one.

13. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    What a PITA. Hope it all works out Jason.

14. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Florida DMV is the worst I have ever dealt with.
    You only get to interact with paper pushers that have no automotive knowledge or imagination.
    They are by the book to a fault.

That said... Alabama and Georgia are bill of sale states.
    You can either "make" a bill of sale that looks official enough, or actually have a resident of one of those states "sell" you your car.

I know folks that "bought" their 'title-free' cars from 'Hewlett Packard'! ;)
    They just got online and copy/pasted an Alabama state seal onto a ficticous bill of sale.
    The good thing about idiots running the DMV, like here in Florida, is they don't ask any questions when presented with stuff like this.

15. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Alabama only requires a bill of sale on 74 and back, 75 and later has to have a title. The bill of sale varies by county, but recently the state added the requirement the the sellers name and address have to be on the bill of sale. Some counties require that it be notarized, some don't. I don't know of any county that requires a official state seal on one, though. I have used handwritten bill of sales written on grocery sacks!:rofl2: