nhra rule changes

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by don graham, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887 Needy For First Car (Mav)

Vehicle:
    Wishing I had one...
    I actually didn't know dragging was that dangerous... I have actually never been to a race and I understand what cages are for... but how exactelly do you flip in a drag? I've seen pro dragsters blow to bits...lose control and hit the wall/other car... but it's not like a maverick is just going to totally combust into a ball of flames or fly off the strip?

2. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    There are many factors that can cause a car to go rubber side up. water/coolant leak, trans leak, engine leak or failure, blow a tire, the other car hits you. The list can go on. From 1977 to 1997 I was an official at LACR in Palmdale, CA. I was the annoncer and saw it all happen from the tower. The slowest car I saw get out of shape was a 40's Buick. This stocker blew a tire and climbed the guard rail at about 60 mph. A 68 Firebird witha 326 had a trans let go at 500 feet out and the rear tires got covered with ATF. The car spun and went into the guard rail. Then landed on the top. The guy was lucky. He only broke his shoulder. His first run was a high 14 sec at 80 mph.

The dumbest was this guy in a hot 41 Ford coupe. had a 396 and turbo 400 trans. The guy shifted into reverse as he went through the finish line lites. Loopped it off the track just past the guard rail. His was a high 12 low 13 second car.

I see a few accidents every year. Most times the safety equipment does it's job. At IRP this summer a gasser driver was not so lucky. He got out of the groove , the tires started to spin and he crossed the track going head on into the guard rail. He did not make it through the weekend.

Safety equipment is no garrantee you will make it through a crash, but your chances are so much better with it. The object is to live to race another day.

I've been lucky enough that I have never test my safety gear. Not everyone is.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  3. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

PC Guy, don't take this the wrong way but never say never! Have been racing all kinds of machines for over 50 yrs. and believe me, have been in lots of accidents on the the track, both circle and straight line. Safety is #1 priority and even then something can always happen at any given time. With all the good safety products available, we still are not totally exempt from harm. Remember one time flipping my stock car one night on an asphalt track, sparks flying and metal crunching. Roll cage and belts worked as supposed to, had a few bruises but generally came out of it fine, until the next day, sore as the devil from the force of the restraints on the torso and the neck getting jarred around. Fire is the worst of all racers worries and a small leak or rupture onto hot engine parts, be it street car or race car, can wreak havoc to car and driver. Anyone who races and says they are not nervous at getting into the car, is either a fool or just plain lying out his/her teeth. In most cases when you fire up the beast, calmness sets in and the thoughts of crashing will diminish and the task at hand takes over. That is why it is such a thrill, quest for horsepower and competitive abilities, are something that most racers just thrive on. Be safe and have fun my friend.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i'd have to say pretty much any racing is dangerous to a degree. you take a car and push it to the limits and eventually something is going to give. hopefully it won't be something that puts you into the wall or flips you over, but better to be prepared then to have them saying "he should have had a roll bar". hot rod bob, do you know bryan smith, he raced a lot at palmdale. he flipped his ford falcon wagon the first race at firebird last year at 145 mph. broke the right front spindle at the top end. he walked away with no problems because of his roll cage. :)

5. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    Bryan's name is familar, but I don't know him. I have only been to Palmdale to run my kids Jr. Dragster or my Maverick since I quit working there. I travel with Goodguys mostly and do the NHRA California Hotrod Reunion every year. It just got be to much being at the track every weekend. I had no time for my kids or my cars.

Now, I still have little time as my 9-5 job keeps me on the road a lot. 30+ weeks away this year.

Glad Bryan made it out. We lost a few Gassers at Firebird when I worked for NDRA. The track gets cold fast in the winter months and they would loose grip as they hit high gear. out of the groove and onto their tops. Scary to see.

6. Kilg0re

Kilg0re Doh!

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I won't be seeing 12's for a while.. Hopefully by time i get that fast and faster they will be down to 10 secs for roll cage :)

7. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    hum? guess i need a cage. man i keep putting it off too!but you are right safety should be first! i did it backwards! but you live and learn.. with age comes wisdom.. but also come a hard head too :D