Opinions on These Wheel/Tire Combo Pics?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by silver70, Dec 6, 2018.

1. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    This first picture looks like the Mav has 14 inch wheels because of the wheel well clearance. Anyone else agree?
    [​IMG]

This Mav has 245/60R15 in the rear and 225/60R15 up front on 15x8's:
    [​IMG]

I really like the stance in the first picture. I don't know what's doin' it for me, but I just like it. However, I picked up a set of 15x8 Magnum 500's a few weeks ago and I'm now conflicted because I see what the second pic looks like with the 15" wheels and, while it's not a bad stance by any means, it's just not quite hittin' home with me. I want more of a '60's factory muscle stance and that's what I kinda see in the first pic. Not such a heavy rake.

I used to run big/littles but I'm moving away from that to something more practical. Probably the same size tire all around. I'm thinking some BFG Radial TA 235/60R15's which have a slightly wider tread than Cooper Cobra's and others. I want something similar to the tire size of the Boss 302's, but I believe they ran 15x7 wheels. That changes the tire's sidewall "belly" profile which is why I want the slightly wider BFG's for my 15x8's. I dunno…..

Questions:

1.) Do the wheels in the first pic look like 14's?
    2.) What do you think of the second pic with 15" wheels? Like the stance more or less than the first pic?
    3.) Backspacing and offset aside, what is the "general consensus" of the largest width tire we can typically fit in the back without tubbing/suspension mods?

Thanks guys.

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    You picked the size I was going to recommend so it must be right if we agree!:thumbs2:

silver70 likes this.
  3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Vs difference in tire size, the first picture looks more over sprung to me.

silver70 likes this.
  4. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    It looks like the wheels might be the same diameter.
    The tires on the orange car are taller.
    I think the rake of the orange car is exaggerated by the reflection on the floor.
    It looks like they are both sitting tall. That's A cool straight line look.

5. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    I'm of the belief both sets of tires and wheels are about the same dimension. The difference in rake is due to the front of the orange car being lower than the front of the green car. Compare the location of the rear wheel centers with the lower portion of the front quarters of both cars, Notice the lower front quarters of both cars are at the bottom of wheel center.

Now compare the lower edge of the front fenders on both cars. The green car's fender edge is at lower wheel center while that of the orange car is below wheel center.

My opinion, both cars sit too high front and back.

If you want the 60s factory muscle stance, both these cars have it. If you want the 60s day-two stance both cars need to sit higher in the front with Cragar wheels all around. Much wider Cragars in the rear with a set of huge Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro meats extending beyond the wheel well lip. `66 and `67 GTOs owners made that day-two look famous!!!!

I cannot seam to find a picture on the net of any above described day two cars. Where is a day-two photo when you need one?

Good luck with your project!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    silver70, Krazy Comet and Shorty like this.
  6. z28th1s

z28th1s MCCI State Rep Coordinator

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick Grabber, '75 Comet GT, '70 Maverick (Grabber tribute)
    The green car looks like a 4x4. As said earlier both cars sit too high front and back.

An 8 inch inch wheel is pretty wide for the front.

silver70 and Krazy Comet like this.
  7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I think the tires are the same size. The RWL tires on the green car just make them seem different.

silver70 likes this.
  8. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Seems most believe both vehicles have comparable wheels/tires. I agree the front of the green Mav is over-sprung. I remember I had a buddy with a '72 Grabber in Calypso Coral with black/yellow stripes. He was running slot mags similar to the Ansen Sprint. I loved the stance of his vehicle. Same tire size all the way around. I just never bothered to inspect them closely to find out tire and wheel size. I fell into the big-n-little trend there for a while. Now, 12 years after I parked my Mav I find my tastes have completely changed. I also used to really like the modern metallic base/clears with toned-down subtle colors. Now, I'm all about single-stage in bright solid colors that used to be found on rides in the 60's and 70's. Interesting what getting older does to a person's perspective.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good points made.

9. Vinchez78

Vinchez78 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 mercury comet
    I like the first Pic, same size all around but not the center caps, I prefer the red ones, but it's high up, if it was lowered a bit, it'd be perfect! I want a set of these for my 73 comet soon!

10. Lee Richart

Lee Richart Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick LDO 421W
    I am running 215-60x15s in the front and 255-60x15s on the back all on 15x7 wheels. with no clearance problems. Anything larger than that and you will probably have rubbing issues. I like the Magnums, but I will take Cragar SS's all day long.
    Lee "THE MAV" Richart

Hippylong likes this.