Overheating issue

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Vomit_Comet, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    Hi, just a simpler question for now. Did you ever get a hold of a temperature gun to confirm the temperatures of the block, heads, manifold and rad?

MD

2. m in sc

m in sc Member

Vehicle:
    76 maverick 2 door, 62 6 cyl falcon, 66 390 Galaxie, and lots of vintage 2-stroke motorcycles
    reading all this... id say its prob time to do as suggested above and pressure test the cooling system. IF that shows nothing, then pull the heads and investigate before any serious damage occurs. a few clogged coolant passages in a head gasket can cause worlds of problems. peace of mind, at least to me, is worth the cost of a set of top end gaskets and a Saturday afternoon. that way, you can definitively diagnose it. my .02

3. nidus

nidus Member

Vehicle:
    71 mercury comet gt, 75 CB550, 76 CB550
    I just read through this entire thread and now I need closure. Does anybody know what happened?

71gold and stumanchu like this.
  4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Have you checked the GAUGE to see if it's ACCURATE ? I have a couple of gauges here at the plant if you want to come by and pick one up to check it out to Verify .. Lemmeno ..
    Chip

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    My guess is he's moved on to other endeavors... Hasn't signed on since April...

[​IMG]

6. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet

nidus likes this.
  7. Vomit_Comet

Vomit_Comet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    Hey, Guys! Long time no talk! Sorry I have been kinda absent lately. As Chip mentioned above I do work full time at a Ceramic coating shop (along with doing side paint johs) it keeps me VERY busy. Not to mention I moved a few months ago and have a woman to keep happy also. Lol! Anyway, I ended up pulling the motor to try and diagnose the cooling issue. The first step I took was pooping the old freeze plugs out. BAM! Took my finger and could scoop out crusty goop. Flushed everything with a pressure washer and went through and refreshed all the gasketd and did a few small upgrades while having it apart. Should be good to go. I still haven’t found time to finish it up yet. It’s probably a good hour or two away from firing up.

stumanchu and mojo like this.
  8. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    I certainly hope that issue leaves....you have jumped through so many hoops to fix it.

9. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Nick :
    Glad to hear you're close to firing that Comet up again ! Congrats on your move . Stop by if you have a bit of spare time . ( yeah right !! ) I'm planning on the HRPT in June again ( GOD willing ) and we're prepping the cars NOW so we won't be in a crunch when it's time to leave. It's just three months away ..( Starts first week of June ) and I'm putting new tires on the rear of the Comet .. ( Don't know WHY they get so thin ??? ) Anyway if you need to use our Lift to put those freeze plugs IN .. Lemmeno ... We usually work on Saturdays .. but I could fit you in if you can work it out ..( Most likely ... you'd have to tow the car over here ).. but we could get it in the doors and ON the lift without a lot of problems. We have fork Lifts to move things around. I'm thinking it would be much easier if you didn't have to crawl UNDER the car . If you have the engine OUT ... No problem .. Call me and I'll send a truck to pick it up and bring it here .. You would have to be available .. but lemmeno .
    Thanks,
    Chip

10. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    What a gracious offer Chip! Your the kind of person that makes this world a better place. I am glad I had the chance to meet you -- if we never cross paths again..

11. Vomit_Comet

Vomit_Comet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    Hey, Chip! Glad to hear that you are doing okay. I’m sorry again about being so distant. Life has been getting in the way of all my fun time here that last year or so. I actually have the freeze plugs in the engine and the engine is pretty much together. I only have a few things to do. A little bit of wiring, brackets and a few transmission things to button up but other than that it’s ready to go. The hard part is finding the little time I need to get over there and work on it. I greatly appreciate the offer though! I’m going to make it a point to stop by this week even if I have to leave work a little early.

12. Vomit_Comet

Vomit_Comet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    Chip is such a great guy. From the first day I met him (on accident at a local breakfast joint) he has been nothing but kind and willing to help. Being a young kid in high school at the time this car was a very expensive hobby to say the least and Chip was always offering a helping hand, whether it was selling me a cheap
    Pair of wheels because I didn’t have any, or giving me odds and ends to finish my car. I have gone through so many times contiplating selling this car and Chip is the reason I haven’t. I could go on and on talking about how great of a guy he is. I can’t thank him enough for what he’s done for me.

William623 likes this.
  13. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Nick:
    WOW .. Thanks for all the " Roses " !! ( You too Everett !!) .. It was a genuine pleasure meeting BOTH of you dudes and it's even nicer knowing that we all share a Common Interest ( COMETS and MAVERICKS !! HA ) .. I appreciate the kind things you've both expressed on this forum .. There are a LOT of neat people on here and I've met many since I became active on the forum .. I'm sure I'll meet even more in the future. NUFF SAID !

Cometized
    (Chip)

14. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Its people like Nick and Chip that make the car world go round and round, a young person with a passion for older cars that is hands on and willing to listen and learn and an older person that is willing to give his expertise, knowledge, time and parts and encouragement . I enjoy helping the younger generation (or anybody for that matter) that is a decent human being to attain their goals

15. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Gotta say '...
    Nick has always had enthusiasm for his Comet .. When I met him years ago . I didn't do much towards 'heightening' his interests.. Only shared a common car.. the COMET .. His Comet is a real gem and I'm glad
    to see he is close to getting it back on the street again.. But it " IS " nice to see a young dude like Nick having an
    interest in a car that's older than HE !! (Joke ! ) .. His Dad is a great stimulus also .. they make a good team.
    Looking forward to seeing his car at the Car Shows again !
    Cometized
    ( Chip )

Vomit_Comet likes this.