Paint Job

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Columbus Comet, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    For a dissasembly and paint I would charge about 5 g'scloser to 6 and if I had to remove alot of dents and rot, yeah around 7500 to 8000.Base coat clear coat is not cheap,you have to consider all the components.Including fillers,primers,sealers and final color.Not to mention color sanding and buffing.For a primo buff job your looking at 2 maybe 3 different compounds to finish it off.Now consider Paint colors/custom colors/multi color finishes it can really get Cha Ching$$$$ I think I will just stop talking now.(paint fume flash back):jumping:

2. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    If you pay somebody to do do all the sanding, body work, and prep, it will be high. I just painted a Dodge Ram 250 van for our church, my wife and I did the sanding, no body work was needed. I bought the paint off of eBay, single stage synthetic enamel, and primer sealer, and gave about $250 for it. It is nowhere the paint job that Dan's car has, but for a passenger van it was fine. Paint and body people earn their money, it's a lot of hard work to get a car to show condition. We sanded on that big van about 1/2 a day, and got it smooth, but not show car smooth. To do that, we would have had to primered it several more times, and sanded a lot more. What we ended up with was a good looking paint job that covered the faded and rusty spots, and if it gets bumped or nicked, so what.

3. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    $5000-$6000 for mine. That included filling in the marker lights, losing the radio antenna hole and patching a panel on my "rust free" car! Also had them roll the fender lip the proper way and bedline the wheel wells. I am pretty sure that they sanded for about a week straight! It is not cheap to paint a car the right way!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  4. fastfords

fastfords Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick, 71 Comet GT, 72 Sprint, 75 Comet, Maverick Stallion
    Mine is still at the body shop, we are waiting for the Grabber side stripe. They replaced the floor pans (both sides front and back), put in a new radiator support, replaced the battery box area (they used a mustang), replaced the roof (they were only supposed to repair the drip rails but said that it was easier and more cost effective to replace the whole roof), fixed a few dings, and then painted it, all for 6k. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

5. timers

timers Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    very nice work

6. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Yeah thats A good price considering the custom work.Your car looks darn good too.I like the marker light delete idea.(been considering it my self)

7. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Did you use a gun??to get that price or does it not include prep and paint.Thats a good deal if it includes paint.

8. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Duh I need to read slower.