Paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Mighty Mouse, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    One of the guys at work brought me in two cans of rattle can paint, diff than what I had so I tried it out, forgot to take a pic, but it came out nice....I mean really nice. Very surprised.

We pulled engine, tranny, bumper, hood, doors, fenders...I think thats it, all that today, so now cleanup and prep is my hobby for a while, painting is way back on the back burner.

I think I did great on the pass side of, well whatever you call it behind the fender. LOL.

2. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    I really like that paint. Came out pretty darn good for a rattle can.

The front of the hood, where there was not any pitting came out nice....and I didn't even prep too good.

Now that I know that paint will look good, I'm gonna hit a door next and prep it teh right way and see how purdy I can make it.

Here's a shot, I uploaded some more to the gallery. Didn't put the 3rd coat in the center, most likely going to be cut out anyway.

hood7_original.jpg

3. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    There is enough info here to baffle you for a little while so the only thing I will add is that you can buy a 3M respirator at any local paint house for around $15 bucks that is rated for things like the urathane primers and paints. It has replacable outer filters but the inner ones are good for X amount of hrs. then you throw it away. Make sure you use venthilation of some kind. And prep work is the key no matter how you paint it.

4. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    I've had decent results with a rattle can on previous vehicles. The trick is to spend a lot of time on it and keep in mind it will take more than twice as much paint as you thought.

5. MaVeRiCkBaBY

MaVeRiCkBaBY Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick Grabber
    ive seen some rattle paint jobs and they are 100 footer cars (those are cars that look good at 100 ft and no closer) i myself just primered it all gray except the scoops i did enamel black along with the tailight area. that is just my 2 cents.

6. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    well, at the ease of a pretty darn good job getting screwed up in seconds...I hate rattle cans now. I'm gonna go to plan B and get the sprayer and fart around with that a bit and see what I can mess up. I'll update if I do anything good. LOL.

7. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    Hvlp

Let's see if we can figure this out. HVLP------H=high V=volume L=low P=pressure.:dance: :cheers: :yup: The reason for the development of the HVLP style gun was to cut down on VOC release. VOC-----V=volatile O=organic C=componds. These are bad for the atmosphere. The HVLP uses a lower pressure with a higher volume of paint so more of the paint goes on the car and less into the air. Just about any price gun will produce a nice finish if you set the particular gun right. It is also possible to get a very nice finish with a rattle can, it just won't stay looking good for nearly as long, mostly because the pigment in the paint is not nearly as UV resistant as a good automotive paint.

8. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    If it were not for rattle can paint I woulda never learned how to do bodywork. I commend you on your dive in attitude,, that is how one learns on his own. Everyone starts somewhere and it usually aint the top. Looks like you are climbing well to making your car look much better. Keep up the great work!!
    Dan