painting a car satin black questions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Ryan, May 17, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    I see some reflection on the firebird, like the trucks taillight. probably pretty close to what we would need but just the pic is on a cloudy day.

I talked to a paint guy and he said there is just a flattening agent to mix in with the clear coat and wouldnt be a big deal.

2. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I have sprayed DuPonts and SEM hit rod black. Both are great products and will hold up long term. If he should tire of the flat/semi gloss look after a couple years all he would need to do is sand it down and reclear it with a normal gloss clear coat.

3. Mad Goon

Mad Goon Scaring the Hondas

Vehicle:
    71 Comet 4dr(SOLD), 2016 Mustang GT Premium
  4. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Basecoat Clearcoat
    2:1 base/reducer
    2:1 clear coat
    Wet sand with 1000 grit
    Shoot with clear coat/rm flattening agent

5. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    A few years ago a friend of mine painted his model A coupe a John Deere flat black. It was a finish coat that could be washed and it looked good. It might be worth checking in on...

6. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    Im pretty sure I would want to go with a true 2 stage with the satin clear to make it last and be protected outside./I]

Does this mean that urethane paint doesn't hold up as well as 2 stage with satin clear? My '91 Prelude is going in for it's first ever paint job and the painter informed me that he was going to use urethane. Should I ask him to use 2 stage paint?

7. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    Here is one that I had done in a one shot Matte black. I just needed to get some paint on it so it was all the same color. It came out very nice. I do not remember exactly what it was bit it was something like PPG rat rod Matte Black paint.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. Phil UK

Phil UK Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick Grabber
    How about a matt vinyl body wrap? When he gets bored or damages it you just peel off and re apply.

9. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:

I think it depends on the color as to which process to go with. My maverick is 2 stage because of the metallic and the 2 tone paint where the clear covers both without ridges. 2 stage can be cut and buffed a few times but you run out of clear. My truck is single stage, solid color with no metallic. since its a truck i wanted to be able to buff it out without worry about going through the clear. the single stage holds up well but needs more waxing because the paint can oxidize but scrathes and stuff can be buffed down and ge tback to nice smooth shiney finish again.

For the Satin black I want it 2 stage because most the satin jobs turn to crap in a few years because it fades and gets chalky. Plus its more porous and holds dirt and stuff in. I think the 2 stage will allow it to last longer and can be cut and buffed down after it starts to show some age.

Looks like im dropping his car off next saturday, the 2nd. the shop said they can do it in 2 weeks. They will have to strip the chrome and reinstall. And they said they would remove the hood, trunk, fenders to ger it all shot for the color change. Ill get pics when its done.

10. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    Man Law states: Article 376.7 Paragraph 7,G: "Bros Before Hoes" Do exactly what he wants and dont tell her. :naughty:

11. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    she wants to do what he wants. But If it was one of my cars I wouldnt want somebody doing this unless they knew exactly wha tand how I want it done. Im sure the suprise idea is great, but if its not right it will bug him forever.

I have a pretty good idea now wha the wants and some details about it but Im still thinking I should tell him and find out if he even wants it painted right now or if it will screw up his plans of doing other things first.

12. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    If it was me Id want to know. I put so much work into my 73 because I want it my way with my hands on it. I know how much he wants to paint that car. At Dyno Day I felt like he was opologizing for it being in primer for so long. He really hit the mark with those marker lights. As much as he likes that car I cant see not keeping him in the loop on this. Just saying its kinda complicated to step into someones build with a surprise.

13. Big

Big Member

Vehicle:
    1971 2 door Maverick base 3.3L / 200 C.I.D.
    Listen to Resto. :thumbs2:

14. h2o

h2o Mad Mav Man

Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick gt 289 v8
  15. supermav

supermav Member

Vehicle:
    71 grabber,65 galaxie drag car,66 fairlane 2 door hardtop,64 falcon ranchero
    Google john deere blitz black. our shop painted a 66 lincoln with this stuff and it looked great. and it was cheep