paintjob on the project

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by johnson, Aug 3, 2003.

?

black with green metallic flake flame?

1. yes

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I just bought a new truck and was looking at that exact car. I have a friend who I dragged to the showroom to show him. We are going to paint his Maverick that color. I thinks its pretty sharp.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Which Maverick friend, Dennis?

3. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Dennis-

Are you painting it pretty soon?
    The rainy season (lasts about 8 or 9 months)has started here in NW Washington, so I will probably be getting around to paint fairly soon, but if you beat me to it, i'd love to see a pic before I spend the dough.

4. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    Dennis did you get rid of your Bronco? What truck did you buy? Russ

5. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    Please please please please PLEASE don't take it to a Maaco or Earl Scheib. The more prep work YOU put into it, the more pissed off you are going to be when they do a half-a$$ed job of painting it. Not only do they do a crap job, they use crap paints, with crap sealers, crap clearcoats, crap primers (if they even prime it). I have seen too many maaco jobs that make me want to puke. If you want a good paint job for a reasonable price, and are doing the prep work yourself, go to the paint shop and buy the paint (Dupont is the best paint). Ask the guy at the counter if he knows anyone who would put it on for you as a side job. There are lots of skilled painters out there who can do a good job in their backyard paint booth for $5-700, and they'd be happy to put on as much or as little paint as you'd like. I just had a job done on my girlfriends car--it is the equivalent of a $5000 paint job, and we got it done for less than $1500. 7 coats of clear, and some of the best paint dupont makes--guaranteed to last longer than the car. It looks beautiful.

6. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    BURNT ORANGE WOULD LOOK COOL!!!!!!

7. BIGbully

BIGbully Maverick Maniac

Funny, I have been contemplating a monochromatic small bumper grabber in burnt orange or tangerine with ghost grabber stipes for my future pro-street ride for several months now. How cool would that be?:cool:

8. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

I would have to say that the burnt orange color would be an eye catcher!:cool:

9. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    I am going either with the burt orange from House of Color or the color on the Copper Head truck from the show Trucks. You can get that formula off their websight. This is for my 71 which will remain a basically stock car other than paint and wheels.

10. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    can you get me the name of the program?:clap: :bananaman :bananaman :clap:

11. paul cooper

paul cooper Member

Vehicle:
    72 ford mav.73 mav. grabber
    I would have to agree i painted for EARL SCHEIB here in Tenn. before they went out of bus. Then went to work at MAACO you are real lucky to get 1 coat of paint. You could take it to a voc. school and all you pay for is paint and they do a pretty good job thats were i learned how to paint and they dont let them leave till they look right. JUST MY 2 CENTS

12. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I must agree with the others about not taking the car to Maaco. You will not be happy with the end result. I know how they do things at those places because I used to work for one for a few years.( And I'm not proud of it!) No one will give a damn about how your car will turn out because the workers are on a time table. One hour to prep the car, one hour to mask the car and one hour to paint the car. That is ALL the time any car gets. The name of the game at Maaco is quanatee, not quality. Doing as much of the prep work yourself will save you some time and money in the long run. At my husband's and my shop we would charge between $4000 to $4500 to do a job like yours, but we take our time and do the job right the first time. We also use quality paints and materials. It's not so much the labor rate that runs the cost up, but more like the cost of materials. Paint is unbelievably expensive. We just finished a 1964 Galaxy and the cost of the paint alone was close to a $1000. What ever you decide to do, check around, ask questions and chose someone with a good reputation.

13. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    My one experience must have been the exception to the rule. Macco did a beautiful paint job on an old 64 Chevy 4 dr my then wife got from her grandmother. This was in FL back around 1978.

14. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    My station wagon was painted in a Maaco type shop. For $450 for a Base Coat/Clear Coat paint job I was pretty pleased. I did all the prep work ahead of time.

15. antjc600

antjc600 Member

Vehicle:
    Cometless
    I have had 2 cars painted by maaco. I prepped both of them and they turned out great. I see them occaionally and they still look good even though its been about 4 years or more. Just have to make sure you keep them waxed up and it will last.