Panel Repair - Watched an Expert

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Hawkco, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Ahh, thats all in a good days work for Robbie.

Well since Terry hasn't posted yet about today, I'll take the liberty to offer my perspective on the day. I got there about 4 P.M. today. They had already been there for a couple of hours. John had a nice driveway full of Mav's, like everyones driveway should be. We drank water, talked Mav's, and managed to set the car on fire a few times. Robbie and Terry got alot of welding and grinding done today. Earl and I were the resident people who watched inside the trunk and car for fire and put it out. We drank alot of water because it was hot as hell out today. At the end of the day, I hooked the battery up and John fired the car up for all to hear with no muffler. It sounds badass with the cam in it. :yup: And of course Frank was there for a while. After he left, we decided that anything that goes wrong with the car we will just blame it on him. :biglaugh: Other then that we drank water and talked Mav's.

After we left Johns, we all went to Earl's and helped unload a bunch of rock and bricks from Earl's Ranger to dam up a ditch in his backyard that is eroding. Earl gave me some decent tires that will go on my '76 this summer probably. I also made a deal with Earl on a '73 2 door Maverick, so my Maverick count will soon be increased to 5 Mav's. :yup:

Was a good, productive day. We'll be back at it again tomarrow. :yup:

Ohh yea, and I went over to Dan's today and got a good 250 exaust manifold from him. (y) And just now as I'm typeing this, I realize I forgot to give him his balancer puller back! :slap:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Hey ... where's my Balancer Puller!!!!

3. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street

Funny you should mention that.I SAW a silver with charcoal grey stripes Ford GT heading north on I-75 today... one word AWESOME.(y)

NOW back to the original subject of this thread, Terrys car.
    Man it looks like that guy really knows his stuff. The car is going to look great Terry!:yippee:

4. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I've seen a red one in Cumming several times. He pulled up next to me one day and gave me a thumbs up, I was in my '72. :) Them GT's are extreamly awesome cars. :yup:

Dan, I'll get it back to you soon, I swear! I've had the thing since 2 days before I wrecked my '74 Grabber. It was on the drivers side of the trunk before I wrecked the car and left a small dent in the passenger side quarter after the wreck. That should tell you something! Sure has came in handy pulling steering wheels though. :drink:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    less the trunk lid :yup: earl made a deal with me on it :Handshake :p . i'll pick it up when you get the car in Ga. :) ...frank...:bouncy:

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    two words...duct tape... :yikes: :biglaugh: :rofl2: :biglaugh: :rofl2:
    Robbie, did a great job fitting the patches (y)
    that car is going to be "purty" :yup:
    i left early because Terrys head was "swelling" and i didn't want to see it explode :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

...and we drank "water"...frank...:bouncy:

7. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    (y) Great job!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

8. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Effie deflated it pretty dadgum with that duct tape remark. A "real" car guy sees it as fiberglass mess. Only a non-car guy (Effie) would've seen it as looking like duct tape.

Water was not all we drank. John had Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke in the fridge as well. I drank a Diet Dr. Pepper.

9. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    The car should be painted, wet sanded, and buffed out in about three weeks. I hope to have the whole thing together by July 5. Once the car is painted and the glass is back in, I post pics of the car.

10. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    And then you're coming to Round-Up with it...right? Don't wanna hear no steenkin excuses! :16suspect

11. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Frank/Jamie; the car goes to Jamie, the trunk lid goes to Frank, some other parts go to me (clutch pedal assy, tail lights).

12. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Yep, Frank. I've got several trunk lids, so thats not a problem. :yup:

13. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    The patching is complete. I finished up some welding this afternoon and evening and then dressed them down. The car is now in the hands of John Taylor, the painter. He will have to use some filler, but minimal.

One of the things I didn't realize was how body parts could be slightly different depending on where stamped out. The spot welds on my original '77 were about half of what was on the pieces from the donor cars. These two slight differences are the man reason for the filler - just ever so slight differences that are not really visible to the eye but very much so to the touch.

I'm building a daily driver, but it is going to be a very good quality driver.

14. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Possible. Of course, I'm not sure I want to subject myself to a venue where you, Frank, Rick Book, Don Graham, Lance, John, Rick Porter, and a couple of others are all there and painting a bullseye on me.:p

15. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Awww come on...we wouldn't do that! :huh:See, we're just a bunch of angels! :162: :162: :162: :162: :162: :162: :162: Oops...forgot about Frank :ignore: